Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Brian Hulette <hu...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/05 04:07:07 UTC

Arrow JS 0.4.0 Release

Hi all,
It's been quite a while since our last major Arrow JS release (0.3.0 on
February 22!), and since then we've added several new features that will
make Arrow JS much easier to adopt. We've added convenience functions for
creating Arrow vectors and tables natively in JavaScript, an IPC writer,
and a row proxy interface that will make integrating with existing JS
libraries much simpler.

I think it's time we cut 0.4.0, so I spent some time closing out or
postponing the last few JIRAs in JS-0.4.0. I got it down to just one JIRA
which involves documenting the release process - hopefully we can close
that out as we go through it again.

Please let me know if you think it makes sense to cut JS-0.4.0 now, or if
you have any concerns.

Brian

Re: Arrow JS 0.4.0 Release

Posted by Brian Hulette <hu...@gmail.com>.
Resurrecting this now that the holidays are coming to a close and the
refactor PR is up [1] :D

I also was not trying to spread blame around for the lack of JS releases in
the past year. Personally, I feel it's primarily my own fault for not
pushing more to wrap up the remaining JS tickets and asking a PMC to create
a release candidate months ago, when they may have had more time. But
that's precisely why I think syncing up with the mainline releases will
benefit us, it will 1) minimize the amount of administrative overhead
necessary for a release, and 2) create some external time pressure for us
to get releases ready (especially if the entire project moves to timed
releases, which sounds great!). The only downside, in my opinion, is we
perhaps lose some agility for creating official bugfix releases, but I'm
not sure it would be much different from the current procedure.

I think now would actually be a great time to sync up if everyone is on
board, since both 0.12 and JS-0.4 are wrapping up. What do you all think?

> I have been curious if there isn't a middle ground between the full
> RC/GM release process, and releasing what are essentially nightlies. npm
> has a feature to publish tagged releases that aren't considered mainline
> releases yet are still accessible to CI/auditing services. As long as
> the list of npm users authorized to publish the packages are Arrow
> contributors (and we force npm 2FA), we could have a lane for rapid
> iteration and release while we work out the kinks.

I would think that this would still be an issue as long as it's coming from
an official apache repository. But based on Wes' original comments about
downstream releases, maybe something like this would be acceptable if it's
coming from a Graphistry fork and clearly marked as an unofficial nightly
release?

Brian

[1] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3290

Re: Arrow JS 0.4.0 Release