Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Lukas Lipavsky <lu...@gmail.com> on 2004/12/01 19:56:26 UTC

Experience with FSFS

Hello,

I see a lot of problems with BerkeleyDB reported here.

But I would like to know...how stable and reliable is FSFS? Has anyone
tested it on some big real project?

Are there any other problems?

Any suggestions, comments, experiences?

Which type of repository is better (in your opinion) and why?

Thanks a lot

Lukas

Re: Experience with FSFS

Posted by Eric Gillespie <ep...@pretzelnet.org>.
Eric Gillespie <ep...@pretzelnet.org> writes:

> Here are some numbers on our three main repositories, from
> 2004-10-01 to right now.

This could have been clearer.  The point of these numbers is that
October 1 was our first day with all FSFS repositories, and we
have had zero problems in that time.  So, yes, it's well-tested.

Re: Experience with FSFS

Posted by Eric Gillespie <ep...@pretzelnet.org>.
Nick_Gianakas@sybari.com writes:

> In all the FSFS benchmark discussion, I haven't seem many
> references to file systems.

Our setup is pretty simple.  Repositories are stored on RAID
arrays with ffs.  The operating system is FreeBSD 4.10.

--

Posted by Ni...@sybari.com.
In all the FSFS benchmark discussion, I haven't seem many references to
file systems.
Does anyone have any experience (or even better, benchmarks) w/ FSFS on
various file systems.  Of particular interest to me is ext3, ReiserFS,
XFS, and JFS.

Regards,
Nick G

Eric Gillespie <ep...@pretzelnet.org>
Sent by: epg@gould.diplodocus.org
12/01/2004 05:46 PM

        To:     users@subversion.tigris.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Experience with FSFS

Lukas Lipavsky <lu...@gmail.com> writes:

> But I would like to know...how stable and reliable is FSFS? Has anyone
> tested it on some big real project?

Absolutely.  We've been using it on a small repository since
before 1.1.0, and once 1.1.0 came out we switched all our
repositories.  In those two months we've had zero problems.
Previously, we averaged a wedge every other week.

> Are there any other problems?

Theoretically, yes.  See
<http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/fsfs>.  In practice,
fsfs has been faster across the board and the load average has
noticeably decreased on our servers.

> Any suggestions, comments, experiences?

Switch :).

Here are some numbers on our three main repositories, from
2004-10-01 to right now.  The first repository was created brand

Re: Experience with FSFS

Posted by Eric Gillespie <ep...@pretzelnet.org>.

Re: Experience with FSFS

Posted by Michael W Thelen <mi...@pietdepsi.com>.
Nick_Gianakas@sybari.com wrote:
>>We have experienced significant performance increases with FSFS,
>>particularly when committing, diffing, merging... well, pretty much
>>across the board.
>
> What OS and file system?

It looks like our server is running Red Hat 7.1, with ext3.  It's due
for an upgrade Real Soon Now :-)  At that point we're considering
switching to ReiserFS since we have so many revision files in a single
directory.  Actually, any advice anyone might have about which FS to use
for a large FSFS repository would be welcome!

--
Michael W Thelen
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with

Re: Experience with FSFS

Posted by Ni...@sybari.com.
> We have experienced significant performance increases with FSFS,
> particularly when committing, diffing, merging... well, pretty much
> across the board.
What OS and file system?

Regards,
Nick G

Re: Experience with FSFS

Posted by Michael W Thelen <mi...@pietdepsi.com>.
Lukas Lipavsky wrote:
> But I would like to know...how stable and reliable is FSFS? Has anyone
> tested it on some big real project?

My company has been using FSFS for about 6 weeks with no problems.  We
had previously been using BDB, also with no major problems.  Our
repository is quite large, about 36000 revisions and 2.5 GB.

> Any suggestions, comments, experiences?
>
> Which type of repository is better (in your opinion) and why?

We have experienced significant performance increases with FSFS,
particularly when committing, diffing, merging... well, pretty much
across the board. :-)  I would recommend FSFS.

Re: Experience with FSFS

Posted by anton <an...@nezzwerk.com>.

> unfortunately, i do not have any first-hand experience with fsfs, but i
> ran bdb on linux & solaris for over  (but about to).

the above meant to be "i do not have any first-hand experience with fsfs
(but i am about to); i ran bdb-bsed repositories on linux & solaris for
over a year."

my apologies,

-a

Re: Experience with FSFS

Posted by anton <an...@nezzwerk.com>.
Lukas Lipavsky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I see a lot of problems with BerkeleyDB reported here.
>
> But I would like to know...how stable and reliable is FSFS? Has anyone
> tested it on some big real project?
>
> Are there any other problems?
>
> Any suggestions, comments, experiences?
>
> Which type of repository is better (in your opinion) and why?
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Lukas

i assume you read

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch05.html#svn-ch-5-sect-1.2.A

as someone mentioned, the people complaining about bdb problems could me
just a very vocal minority, majority of the users never experience any
problems as long as they follow the guidelines
(http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch05s02.html)

unfortunately, i do not have any first-hand experience with fsfs, but i
ran bdb on linux & solaris for over  (but about to).

thanks,

-anton