Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Tomáš K." <to...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/09 01:42:21 UTC

eXist native XML database

Hi,

I'm working on maven project and I need to use embedded eXist database.
Unfortunatelly, there is only 5 years old version in repo1.maven.org.

when you download latest 1.4 version, it has all required *.jar bundled
- I will reference JARs by name in their distribution:

to run embedded database, you need to add 27 JARs, but some of them are
not in repo1.maven.org or the are outdated...

this JARs are problematic:

not in the repository (exist database 1.4 libs):
   exist.jar (1.4)
   exist-*.jar   * = (lucene-module, ngram-module, optional, modules)
   sunxacml-1.2.jar

this are outdated - value in () is available version:
   quartz-1.6.5.jar (1.6.3->causing some warnings like "mising
dependency" during project build -> so it is there and it is not in the
same time, i don't know)
   serializer-2.9.1.jar (2.7.1)
   jing-20090920.jar (20030619 - huge difference, but it might work -
didn't try :-))

how could I tell maven developers to add required packages to the
repository?

thanks
Tomas

RE: eXist native XML database

Posted by Adam Retter <Ad...@landmark.co.uk>.
I am not off on Holiday unless I am aware.

eXist does not support any particular MVC framework, but there are a number of possibilities are RESTful XQuery frameworks, of which we also have our own approach in the project based around the XQueryURLRewriteFilter

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Good Afternoon Adam

Posted by Adam Retter <Ad...@landmark.co.uk>.
Hi Wes,

That is very kind, thanks. Yes we have a development mailing list at -
exist-development@lists.sourceforge.net

You may need to check the SourceForge page to get subscribed -
http://sourceforge.net/projects/exist/support

Cheers Adam.

<Ad...@landmark.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi there I am one of the eXist developers.
>
> We certainly are interested in what our users want, but as yet we have
> only had 2 or 3 express an interest in using Maven it is unfortunately
> not a top priority for us at the present time.
>
> I myself am a big fan of Maven, and would love to do a port of eXist
> from Ant (we are heavily invested), over to Maven. Unfortunately I
just
> don't have enough hours in the day at present to undertake this.
>
> If there is an experienced Maven developer out there that might be
> interested in contributing such changes then I would certainly
encourage
> that.
>
> For the time being the solution is really to place eXist and its
> dependencies into your own artifact repository (either local or server
> e.g. Artifactory et al.)
>
> Thanks Adam.

Wes Wannemacher

Head Engineer, WanTii, Inc.
Ask me for a quote!

Re: eXist native XML database

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
Adam,

I work on the struts project here at apache, but I am getting pretty
good with maven ;)

I'd like to help you guys port to maven... I don't use exist, but came
across it recently and was very interested. If you don't mind, I'll
start perusing the source and send you questions off-list. Is there a
developers mailing list for eXist?

-Wes

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 4:59 AM, Adam Retter <Ad...@landmark.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi there I am one of the eXist developers.
>
> We certainly are interested in what our users want, but as yet we have
> only had 2 or 3 express an interest in using Maven it is unfortunately
> not a top priority for us at the present time.
>
> I myself am a big fan of Maven, and would love to do a port of eXist
> from Ant (we are heavily invested), over to Maven. Unfortunately I just
> don't have enough hours in the day at present to undertake this.
>
> If there is an experienced Maven developer out there that might be
> interested in contributing such changes then I would certainly encourage
> that.
>
> For the time being the solution is really to place eXist and its
> dependencies into your own artifact repository (either local or server
> e.g. Artifactory et al.)
>
> Thanks Adam.

Wes Wannemacher

Head Engineer, WanTii, Inc.
Ask me for a quote!

Re: eXist native XML database

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> Sure, but should we not also include a list of dependencies in the pom
> for our Artifcat?

Sure. But wouldn't this take 5 minutes for a developer familiar with
the codebase, who knows the dependencies? You can just look at your
/lib/ folder or Ant script and poof, there's the dependencies. This
should not be a big deal.

Wayne

RE: eXist native XML database

Posted by Adam Retter <Ad...@landmark.co.uk>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dimitris Kapanidis <d....@gmail.com>.
2010/5/9 Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>

> > I'm working on maven project and I need to use embedded eXist database.
> > Unfortunatelly, there is only 5 years old version in repo1.maven.org.
>
> You need to get the eXist people to do the uploads for newer versions
> of their files. If enough eXist users and developers care about Maven,
> they will do it.
>
> > how could I tell maven developers to add required packages to the
> > repository?
>
> You don't. If you can't get the eXist folks to get it done, you will
> need to (less ideally) manually install them into your own local repo
> cache on each machine that will build your project or (more ideally)
> install something like Nexus, Archiva, Artifactory and install them
> there so your coworkers can use the artifacts too.

I think there is another option also,
if the eXist folks don't respond to the need for uploading files to the
maven central you can do it yourself, probably with a different groupId.
check out the following link for more details (someone correct me if this is
not the case)

http://www.sonatype.com/people/2010/04/uploading-artifacts-to-the-central-maven-repository-diy/

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
You should add these libs to a remote repository of your company's repo
manager. Then it will "just work" for all your developers.

/Anders