Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Iain Downs <ia...@idcl.co.uk> on 2008/12/01 13:52:02 UTC

spot colours

I have a requirement to provide some 'camera ready copy' for a supplier.
They need this in PDF and also they need to have it with 'spot colours'.

I'm happily generating the PDF with FOP (thanks to all authors!), but I'm
struggling with how to make the colours 'spot'.

To make matters a tad more complicated, the main location of the colours are
in some graphics which I'm generating by including SVG markup.

The available documentation on XSL-FO and SVG both seem rather sparse where
spot colour (I gather ICC is another name for this!) comes in to play.

Can anyone provide pointers or better, snippets of code or worse (but still
helpful) and authoritative statement that I have the wrong tree to bark up?!
:)

Cheers

Iain

Re: spot colours

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

You're not the first: http://fop.markmail.org/search/?q=spot%20colors

> To make matters a tad more complicated, the main location of the colours are
> in some graphics which I'm generating by including SVG markup.
>
> The available documentation on XSL-FO and SVG both seem rather sparse where
> spot colour (I gather ICC is another name for this!) comes in to play.

Sparse is overstated. Both standards have currently no provisions for
spot colors. Only the current SVG Print working draft [1] is trying to
do something about this, but SVG print won't help us here.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGPrintPrimer12/#named

> Can anyone provide pointers or better, snippets of code or worse (but still
> helpful) and authoritative statement that I have the wrong tree to bark up?!
> :)

As you might have guessed from the first link above, FOP doesn't
currently have support for spot colors. Some of the commercial FO
implementations have defined proprietary extension functions to specify
spot colors. Something similar would have to be done for FOP. Patches would
be most welcome.

Jeremias Maerki