Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org> on 2004/05/02 13:40:18 UTC

jakarta news page not updating re commons-net 1.2 release

I pushed through the release of commons-net 1.2 yesterday.  I completed all
the steps mentioned in
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/release.html, in particular,
step 13:

Follow standard procedures to update the Jakarta web site (stored in CVS
repository jakarta-site2) to reflect the availability of the new release).
If you have an account on daedalus, log in and update the web site. (If not,
you'll need to ask on commons-dev or general@jakarta.)

> cd /www/jakarta.apache.org/
> cvs up index.html site

      Check the live site. (The mirrors may or may not be in synch just yet.)
I checked immediately after completing this step and my changes appeared to
have immediately taken effect at http://jakarta.apache.org#Headlines

Later, just out of curiosity, I checked again.  The page seemed to have
reverted to its earlier content.  Since then I have looked several times and
my changes are not there.

Going back over the directions, it appears that my mistake was that I didn't
do all this cvs-ing on daedalus, but on www.apache.org.  So that the
mirroring process wiped out my changes on the site soon after they were
uploaded.

Now, trying to check out the latest from cvs onto daedalus, I find that I
cannot actually log onto this machine.  I believe that if someone logs onto
daedalus and does
> cd /www/jakarta.apache.org/
> cvs up index.html site
the site will be updated.

Can someone with rights to this machine please do that?
Thanks.

Re: jakarta news page not updating re commons-net 1.2 release

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
hi steve

the website has been updated already so this is just FYI...

the release documentation is now a little out of date. AIUI
cvs.apache.org and www.apache.org are now  the same machine (minotaur).
you should now have no problems accessing minotaur using 'ssh -l scohen
www.apache.org'.

- robert

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <im...@apache.org>.
Steve Cohen wrote:

>But, does anyone understand what is wrong with my setup of Eclipse that would
>cause the "ö" character to be mangled every time a file is saved with one in
>it?

I bet this has something to do with the characterset used. Maybe Martin
uses ISO-8859-1 (or ISO-8859-15).
If you open this file with another charset setup the "ö" might be mangled.

Is there any standard which charset should be used on jakarta.
http://www.apache.org/dev/styleguide.html doesnt speak about it.
Maybe we should force to use UTF-8 - not sure if cvs is utf-8 aware.

Or simply avoid any non-ascii character ;-)

Ciao,
Mario

Re: jakarta news page not updating re commons-net 1.2 release

Posted by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org>.
On Sunday 02 May 2004 1:30 pm, Steve Cohen wrote:
...> At any rate, it all looks well now!

Aargh!  Except for the mangling of poor Martin Pöschl's name.  I fixed that so
now truly all looks well.

But, does anyone understand what is wrong with my setup of Eclipse that would
cause the "ö" character to be mangled every time a file is saved with one in
it?

I am running Eclipse 3.0.0 on Redhat Linux 9.0

Re: jakarta news page not updating re commons-net 1.2 release

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 2 May 2004, at 19:30, Steve Cohen wrote:

> Thank you Martin!  That did the trick!
>
> I think the documentation should be updated as you indicate, but
> should also
> give explicit instuctions on building the site after changing the xml
> files.
> It would appear that build.sh or build.bat should be run since these
> scripts
> do a little more than just running ant against build.xml.

if it's broken, patch it ;)

i'm not sure how the name got mangled - it used to be escaped. editing
the xml should have left &#264; alone.

- robert

Re: jakarta news page not updating re commons-net 1.2 release

Posted by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.