Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk> on 2005/07/20 03:49:01 UTC

[Axis2] Suggestions from ApacheCon

Hi,

Myself and Chathura got some interesting feedbacks during the ApacheCon
2005, especially from the users. Here are some of those.

1. (I'm not too sure this is too early to give this idea.)There must be a
place to share the common modules. This is same as the plugin that are
available over the web for Eclipse. So that people can search for Axis2
modules and use them.

2. To have a remote shutdown mechanism, like we have, to remotely deploy a
service. This will enable an administrator remotely shutdown the services he
thinks.

3. to have a web interface to gather the usage statistics. For example, one
can see how many messages have arrived for a particular services, etc.,
Actually this is very much useful for decision makers.

4. In current system, when we engage a module using the web interface, and
if the server shuts down, that engagement will not be there in the next
startup. Its better to have that state saved, when one uses the web
interface.

5. Persistence - Some people were really keen on this. As if for some
reason, if there is server shutdown, there is no way to persists and
re-state the stuff when it starts up again.

Well, these ideas may not fit in to Axis2 1.0 time frame, but seems really
interesting from the user perspective.

There were some people who like to contribute, especially from projects like
Tomcat. One was interested in shutting down thingy, mentioned 5 above, to
work well with Tomcat.

Regards,
Chinthaka

Re: [Axis2] Suggestions from ApacheCon

Posted by Srinath Perera <he...@gmail.com>.
> Myself and Chathura got some interesting feedbacks during the ApacheCon
> 2005, especially from the users. Here are some of those.
>
> 1. (I'm not too sure this is too early to give this idea.)There must be a
> place to share the common modules. This is same as the plugin that are
> available over the web for Eclipse. So that people can search for Axis2
> modules and use them.
+1 some place like ws.apache.org/axis2/modules and
http://*/axis2/modules/* given the url

> 2. To have a remote shutdown mechanism, like we have, to remotely deploy a
> service. This will enable an administrator remotely shutdown the services he
> thinks.
+1 JMX support will add it
> 3. to have a web interface to gather the usage statistics. For example, one
> can see how many messages have arrived for a particular services, etc.,
> Actually this is very much useful for decision makers.
0 But this is POST 1.0 .. this is something independent .. but need some time
But if someone like to work on it they are welcome ..
> 4. In current system, when we engage a module using the web interface, and
> if the server shuts down, that engagement will not be there in the next
> startup. Its better to have that state saved, when one uses the web
> interface.
+1 serialization support should fix it
> 5. Persistence - Some people were really keen on this. As if for some
> reason, if there is server shutdown, there is no way to persists and
> re-state the stuff when it starts up again.
+1 serialization support should fix it
> Well, these ideas may not fit in to Axis2 1.0 time frame, but seems really
> interesting from the user perspective.
>
> There were some people who like to contribute, especially from projects like
> Tomcat. One was interested in shutting down thingy, mentioned 5 above, to
> work well with Tomcat.
Thanks
Srinath