Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John Stewart <jo...@nmwco.com> on 2007/02/07 22:23:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.2 with redirect and CGI

Problem description as best I currently understand it:

We are trying to combine two MoinMoin wikis onto a single host. The two
wikis were previously known by DNS names of wiki and kiwi respectively,
and we want to preserve that functionality for our user base.

When we move to a third host, we're presented with a couple of issues. I
can change the DNS pointers for the previous hosts to point to the new
hosts, but do I need to create vhosts with the previous names so Apache
knows what to do with those requests? Or does it simply process any
inbound traffic on port 80?

Additionally, the wiki software needs to launch a CGI script. Does that
need to exist in each vhost separately?

We've been working our way through documentation, but clearly still have
a lot to learn.

Thanks,
John

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2 with redirect and CGI

Posted by Steve Feehan <sf...@boolecat.com>.
On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 01:23:07PM -0800, John Stewart wrote:
> Problem description as best I currently understand it:
>
> We are trying to combine two MoinMoin wikis onto a single host. The two
> wikis were previously known by DNS names of wiki and kiwi respectively,
> and we want to preserve that functionality for our user base.
>
> When we move to a third host, we're presented with a couple of issues. I
> can change the DNS pointers for the previous hosts to point to the new
> hosts, but do I need to create vhosts with the previous names so Apache
> knows what to do with those requests? Or does it simply process any
> inbound traffic on port 80?

You only need to setup virtual hosts if a different site/configuration
should be selected based on the host name/ip address/port/etc.

> Additionally, the wiki software needs to launch a CGI script. Does that
> need to exist in each vhost separately?

I think moin moin supports virtual hosting via the farmconfig
functionality. So unless I'm missing some detail regarding why
you would want a different apache configuration for each wiki
(ie. different log files, etc.) I think you can accomplish the
different wiki per hostname at the moin level.

> We've been working our way through documentation, but clearly still have
> a lot to learn.

Good luck! Let me know if the above works out OK.

--
Steve Feehan