Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org> on 2019/11/08 20:18:27 UTC

FYI

https://blog.cleancoder.com/uncle-bob/2019/11/08/OpenLetterLinuxFoundation.html

--
Kevin A. McGrail
Member, Apache Software Foundation

Re: FYI

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
planners@ is a public list with vendors & sponsors.  I have no good answer
for how I would have done this differently but your idea isn't a bad one.
I would likely have done the opposite though and point out the board@
thread and pointed other lists there.

Re: FYI

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: FYI

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Re: FYI

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com.INVALID>.
Agreed. I learned plenty from the planners list. Thanks for flagging it Rich.

---

Sent from my phone, you know what that means - sorry
________________________________
> But: the diversity committee is not responsible for CoC enforcement, so
> this is just philosophizing here.  It would be on-topic on the planners@
> list.

Fwiw the original message was crossposted to three lists. (I wish people
wouldn't do that.) The discussion over on planners@ was very productive,  I
think.

Re: FYI

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: FYI

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Hey Matt, Niclas,

While prison is almost certainly worse, we really shouldn't underestimate
the negative effects that cyber-mobbing can have.  People have lost their
livelihoods, and even committed suicide over cyber-mobbing.  Social
approbation is a really powerful punishment, because we are social
animals.  It's also true that mobbing (cyber- and real-) is as likely to be
directed at "victims" as it is at "villains."  Christina Ford for example
needed private security after her testimony to Congress.

There are good reasons to keep CoC complaints and outcomes private and they
are as much to protect the victims as they are to protect the accused
(innocent or otherwise).

There are also countries in which it is a legal requirement.  For example,
in Germany you will never find the names of victims or of people convicted
of most crimes in the newspaper.  People need the opportunity to
rehabilitate, and that includes the opportunity to break from their past
deeds: something that is impossible in the US where criminal records are
fairly easy to discover with or without consent.  It is not appropriate to
throw people away for their mistakes and failings.  For example: remove RMS
from all positions of authority?  Sure.  Make him homeless?  Nope.

But: the diversity committee is not responsible for CoC enforcement, so
this is just philosophizing here.  It would be on-topic on the planners@
list.

Best,
Myrle

Re: FYI

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: FYI

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: FYI

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Patricia,
I think our opinions differs because of our internalized starting point;
Yours (I think) is that repulsive behavior has occurred and that the only
way to prove that is that several such cases shows a pattern, where each
individual one is a "one says, the other says...". My starting point is
that I see a path where there is no additional accusers and the accused
hasn't done anything, but that the "victim" seeks "trial by media", and it
will be another "one says, the other says" with a wider public going "no
smoke without fire".

And as these matters are generally framed in a narrower definition than Law
in general, and that being at the receiving end of a twitter storm can do
as much (or more) harm as a prison sentence, I think it is important that a

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Re: FYI

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I saw that question; I feel like it's jumping the gun to talk about
how to punish people who claim to have been harmed.

I would prefer to guide the conversation to how to minimize damage to
anyone involved and hasten resolution and amends.

Re: FYI

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

Andrew Musselman wrote:

> Yes, I saw that question; I feel like it's jumping the gun to talk about
> how to punish people who claim to have been harmed.

Perhaps raise the helicopter a bit.

What do we want here  ?

I think what we want here is that what would further the foundations goals*.  I.e. as narrow as our bylaws/corp. document - or as broad as our mission.

But just that. (And even though as a person I may well labour daily to fix things that I feel are unfair and `use apache for that', make society more just & do a lot of things in that vein & some publicly. And some of that may reflect well those associated with me; and some may not - depending on the eye of the beholder. Or even campaign for politicians some others would find very objectionable).

So for that we need to ensure that the we have a healthy community (and I personally think that means one as diverse as the world we serve — The guidelines of the CoC provide, I think, a good, prioritised, list. ).

And lots of things, including all forms of harassment, are very much counter to that goal.  As they damage our ability to provide software for the public good. And that is why they need stamping out when they happen. Swiftly.

However I think it stops there too; so we should and must take action for & on behalf of our community; and do so fast to prevent festering -- but once we’ve tackled some issue (and that may well feel very punishing to those involved or ousted) - a lot of the followup may not be ours*. Especially as we should keep in mind that some back-stoppers outside the ASF, such as defamation lawsuits are only available to a very small fraction of our international community.

That is not saying that we should by definition shy away from this.  IMHO — a healthy community may well need to report things to the authorities - or similar such steps. Not in the least to protect others or its members from further abuse in different settings.

That said - the `automatic’ aspect troubles me - but solving it through angles like `reflect bad on the ASF’ and hence counter to the ASF its mission - like what we somewhat try to do in our Board CoC; does not feel, to me, as an ideal solution either.

Dw

*: The hackspace in London strikes this balance with keeping the initial formal warning or ban `private (by default - with the board making sporadic exceptions)’ - but with clear & swift communication; transparent & open - yet not `in the public view’.

Re: FYI

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Re: FYI

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.