Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Marcus C. Gottwald" <mc...@cheers.de> on 2007/03/11 16:25:30 UTC

sa-learn seems not to be teaching anymore

[Please Cc: me on reply, as I'm not subscribed to the list.]

Hello everyone!

I am using SA 3.1.7 from Debian testing packages. Some time ago
(possibly with the last or second last update), sa-learn stopped
to actually feed information into the database. I have been
running sa-learn from Cron for many months in the exact same
setup.

What's happening now is that sa-learn apparently doesn't write
to the database or something like that. If I run it twice in a
row, it becomes obvious that the first run didn't work as
expected:

  mcg@valet:~$ sa-learn --ham --progress --mbox 02_private_00_icke_stammtisch
   99% [================================ ]   9.45 msgs/sec 01m39s DONE
  Learned tokens from 684 message(s) (943 message(s) examined)

  mcg@valet:~$ sa-learn --ham --progress --mbox 02_private_00_icke_stammtisch
   99% [================================ ]   9.49 msgs/sec 01m39s DONE
  Learned tokens from 684 message(s) (943 message(s) examined)

There's no error message anywhere. A lockfile ("bayes.lock") in
the database directory does get created and removed. The file
system is not full, there's been no change in permissions
anywhere.

Any hint on what might (not) be going on or where else to look?

TIA, Marcus

--
   Marcus C. Gottwald  ·  <mc...@cheers.de>  ·  http://cheers.de

Re: sa-learn seems not to be teaching anymore

Posted by "Marcus C. Gottwald" <mc...@cheers.de>.
Hello,

I wrote (Sun 2007-Mar-11 16:25:30 +0100):

> [Please Cc: me on reply, as I'm not subscribed to the list.]
..
> I am using SA 3.1.7 from Debian testing packages. Some time ago
> (possibly with the last or second last update), sa-learn stopped
> to actually feed information into the database. I have been
> running sa-learn from Cron for many months in the exact same
> setup.
..
> There's no error message anywhere. A lockfile ("bayes.lock") in
> the database directory does get created and removed. The file
> system is not full, there's been no change in permissions
> anywhere.

Well, guess what: I had to run "sa-learn --import" and all was
running fine again. This is certainly nobody's fault but my own;
but since with the upcoming release of Debian etch a few million
installations will be switching from 3.0.3 to 3.1.7+, maybe
there's still time to make "sa-learn" print out a note when it's
seeing an old style database?

Cheers, Marcus

--
   Marcus C. Gottwald  ·  <mc...@cheers.de>  ·  http://cheers.de