Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Roberto Lo Giacco <rl...@smartlab.net> on 2002/02/05 19:22:07 UTC

Begging your pardon

I know my questions could be already posted in the past, but I didn't found them in the mail archive, may be because I searched for the wrong words.
Anyway I have these questions for you:
1- Is it possible to use the Linux users database to recognize james users, and a simple file to recognize aliases?
2- Is it possible to totally replace sendmail under RedHat 7.2 with James?

I'm a Java developer and I already contributed to James in it's earlier stage so I could even write by myself the classes needed, but I don't know where to start, I stayed too long far from James...
I want to replace sendmail with James because I LOVE Jakarta and I never configured sendmail, but I had my James working within 3 minutes...
I don't need a completely stable environment, but I need to receive emails on my Linux box, just for one domain, so I don't need server aliasing, but I need to multiplex emails basing on my Linux groups and deliver them to my Linux users. It would be a pain in the ass if I need to add manually each user and if I have to store my aliases in a RDBS...

Is all this possible and if yes in which way? I'm ready to write down the few java lines needed to patch...

Roberto Lo Giacco