Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Bob Holley <ro...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/10 10:28:32 UTC

Auto Spell-Check

To Whom it May Concern:

       I am using Open Office Writer for the manuscript of a book on which
I am working and for no reason the Auto Spell Check feature ceases to
function.  The first time it stopped I closed the program and rebooted my
laptop and it worked again.  This time, however, nothing makes it work
again.  All the proper buttons are on and all the appropriate boxes are
checked but it will not work to show misspelled words with the squiggly
line underneath.  It will,however, fix capital letters and automatically
complete words it thinks I am writing (a feature I wish I could turn off!),
but no Auto Spell-Check as I type.  Is there a "fix" for this, I hope???

Sincerely,
Robert Holley

Re: Auto Spell-Check

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 12:28:32 +0200
Bob Holley <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To Whom it May Concern:
>
>        I am using Open Office Writer for the manuscript of a book on which
> I am working and for no reason the Auto Spell Check feature ceases to
> function.  The first time it stopped I closed the program and rebooted my
> laptop and it worked again.  This time, however, nothing makes it work
> again.  All the proper buttons are on and all the appropriate boxes are
> checked but it will not work to show misspelled words with the squiggly
> line underneath.  It will,however, fix capital letters and automatically
> complete words it thinks I am writing (a feature I wish I could turn off!),
> but no Auto Spell-Check as I type.  Is there a "fix" for this, I hope???
>
> Sincerely,
> Robert Holley

It's not just a case of pressing buttons.  You need to verify that the precise Language dialect is installed, and that dialect is selected for the text being entered.  The dialect of the entered language is shown on the middle of the Status Bar at OO Window bottom.  Turn off the capital letters etc on /Tools /Autocorrect options.

--
Rory O'Farrell

RE: Auto Spell-Check

Posted by am...@aol.com.INVALID.
Yes, the "fix" exists: writing a manuscript manually and checking it before rewriting electronically (when a masterpiece is ready).

Posted by Robin Lord <ro...@fastmail.fm>.
Thanks for that but I have checked all the language settings and have never been able to find anything unusual in the affected file which was originally created in OO and has been edited with LO, I agree it is a brute force technique but in the end it seemed easier than solving the basic problem, the amount of formatting involved was very small. It was in a file first created nearly 20 years ago and which I update very occasionally it has been bugging me for years and I finally got round to my solution only this week

On Thu, 10 Nov 2022, at 16:38, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 16:15 10/11/2022 +0000, Robin Lord wrote:
>>Does the spell checker work with other files, i have had a single
>>file that did not spell check. ... the only solution i could find
>>was to cut and paste all the text into notepad and grin there cut
>>and paste it back into a new document in OO ...
>
> That's almost certainly a brute-force technique for a problem which
> could have been solved more simply - and without damaging the
> existing formatting, all of which you would lose using your method.
>
> What's likely here is that your text was either marked as being in
> some language (or language variant) for which you did not have a
> spelling dictionary installed or marked "None (Do not check
> spelling)". You can resolve the problem simply by correcting the
> language setting appropriately. Your journey into and out of Notepad,
> which does not recognise attributes such as language, will have
> removed the setting, and the text will have assumed the default
> language of your new document.
>
> Note that this problem can be caused by pasting material in from
> another source, where the language property (or the "None" setting)
> may be carried over. You can avoid this by using Edit | Paste
> Special.. (or Ctrl+Shift+V) instead of ordinary Paste and choosing
> "Unformatted text" in the Paste Special dialogue. That way, the
> pasted material inherits the language property of surrounding text.
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

Best Regards

Robin

Re: Auto Spell-Check

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.

Re: Auto Spell-Check

Posted by Robin Lord <ro...@fastmail.fm>.
Does the spell checker work with other files, i have had a single file that did not spell check.
If it does not work on all files then just Google it and there are answers that work.
If it is just the one file the only solution i could find was to cut and paste all the text into notepad and grin there cut and paste it back into a new document in OO or LO

--
Best Regards

Robin