Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Prasanna Santhanam <pr...@citrix.com> on 2012/12/19 00:11:35 UTC

Re: Request for cloudstack-qa mailing list and QA Scrum call

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 04:38:57AM +0530, Prasanna Santhanam wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 04:32:02AM +0530, Sudha Ponnaganti wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Reaching out to community to see if we can have a dedicated QA
> > mailing list mainly to have a focused attention around QA
> > Activities.
> >

> > -          To discuss automation acceleration. We already have
> > sizable scripts and need to get those running  in to apache env
> >
> > -          Discuss QA strategy and have community participate little
> > bit more - Dev community is very active but QA is not at the same
> > level.  There are too many discussions in dev mailing list already.
> > Afraid that QA may not get enough attention
> >
> > -          Discuss project QA activities and track progress and
> > present relevant info to community. Intention is not to take away
> > visibility but to have a focused vision on QA.
> >
> > -          Discuss other QA initiatives and have owners drive these
> > initiatives - mainly around automation frameworks, tools
> > implementation for QA
> >

> > Please do express your opinion on this.
> >
> > Also I am going to setup a call to discuss ASF CS 4.1 release QA
> > activities starting next week as we are getting close to the
> > release.
> >

> Why not use the -users list? It's not high-traffic and QA are users
> testing/using the product? It will encourage our users to test
> alongside releases and participate in the testing process. Some of our
> users I'm sure can contribute automated tests.

Including the users (+cross-posting)

--
Prasanna.,

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 1:02 AM, Sudha Ponnaganti <
sudha.ponnaganti@citrix.com> wrote:

> Thanks for clarification Mohammad Nour!  I do not necessarily disagree
> with what you are suggesting but from what we have seen in 4.0 and 4.0.1,
> it did not work much for testing activity /QA. May have worked if project
> is smaller.  But Cloudstack is not smaller anymore and as mentioned earlier
> the discussions have grown in other development areas but not seeing same
> growth in qa aspect. So trying to find ways to provide a focused attention
> and of course it will not be isolated group as it is open just like user or
> dev lists.
>
> It looks like this approach worked for some bigger open source projects  -
> https://quality.mozilla.org/  ( there are multiple mailing lists even
> within QA)

This is really interesting, although the example does not apply here as it
looks like a specialized QA community thing AFAIU

> However for starters, we can discuss with QA prefix and see how it goes.

+1 I would go that way and if it proves that the traffic is really high to
the point that it spams the -dev list itself then at that time we have a
real reason to go with to INFRA

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Posted by Sudha Ponnaganti <su...@citrix.com>.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Posted by Sudha Ponnaganti <su...@citrix.com>.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sudha...

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sudha...

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <pr...@citrix.com>.
On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 04:58:35AM +0530, Sudha Ponnaganti wrote:
> One of the concerns is that QA may not feel comfortable to discuss
> all the QA topics in Dev mailing list.
> Would like to attract QA community to contribute more than just
> testing - development of tools and adoption of automation.
>
> As is QA is not participating frequently and current dedicated
> effort is to accelerate that. I am not sure if that would be
> successful or not but I sense that QA is not feeling comfortable to
> discuss QA topics in Dev mailing lists. Several times QA folks are
> being nudged to post on dev mailing lists from few folks
> participated in 4.0 QA effort. That is why I thought this approach
> might help.

All folks should be welcome and feel comfortable mailing the lists.
I think a tag [QA] marking testing concerns can simplify the process
for devs who might not be interested in following up on the topic.
IMO right now the difficulty is in rounding up folks for a test
process that works asynchronously across timezones. As a test
contributor I don't see a clear QA process which makes it confusing
for me to begin.

Some of the difficulties can be that:

QA requires sufficient HW to test some of this stuff. Ilya is one
person I've seen come forward to test features proposed. Which is why
I suggest the users lists. But I see Alex's point about nightly
builds. That can be simplified too IMO with tags on the email. But if
discussions can be kept in -dev and developers don't mind, I'm all for
it as well.

QA can in fact participate in reviewing features that are being
proposed on dev lists. They are good judges of the feature and its
requirement and how it fits in to the stack.

There are also various kinds of test groups which we don't quite
recognize. All of them help us with the QA of the stack:

Test groups can be:
1. unittest writers
2. feature reviewers
3. automated integration tests
4. Doc bug and review
5. Those verifying bugs raised in release cycles.
6. CI and infra

Would be really nice to see all the folks come together and figure out
how to unite the QA effort.

--
Prasanna.,

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <pr...@citrix.com>.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 12:16 AM, Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com> wrote:

> The problem with using -users is that -qa will often have issues that are
> raised during nightly testing, etc.  Exposing users is often too much
> detail.

Sorry that I didn't explain, I didn't mean using -uers at all and I believe
we should not using it, QA in the way I referred to is part of the
development process and hence this should go through the -dev list

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.