Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vy Ho <st...@drexel.edu> on 2002/12/06 17:46:22 UTC

Tomcat went unconcious :-)

When a dog sneeze and the cat got knocked down.  The following case show
that simple things could knock error out of tomcat (note that the cat does
not die).

Imagine authentication usin gmemory or database.  2 users 1 role for each.
When you login with a valid user name/pass, but wrong role for the
selected page, you won't see the invalid user/login, but you'll see access
error.  Now, go back (clicking on the back button), and then login as
valid user/role, you'll see a gain, the same message, although you should
be able to get into the page without any problem.  That's 2 knockouts
right there.

How could something this obvious, and sensity, and common slip into the
cat?

Re: How to upgrade form 4.1.12 to 4.1.16beta?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Brandon Cruz wrote:
> What is the easiest way to upgrade from tomcat 4.1.12 to 4.1.16 beta?
>
> Can I just move my server.xml, shared libraries, and webapps over to the new
> directory?
>
> Better yet, can I just copy some of the new jar files into the original
> tomcat directory?

Yes, but as a general rule, you should clean the work directory.
Sometimes server.xml changes a bit (although it stays backwards
compatible), so you may want to check it for newer parameters (for
example, in 4.1.17, the connector will use a slightly different
configuration, although the old one still works).

Remy

RE: How to upgrade form 4.1.12 to 4.1.16beta?

Posted by Brandon Cruz <bc...@norvax.com>.
I just ended up installing the binary and copying over my webapps, web.xml,
server.xml, and a couple other files.  Wasn't too bad.  After checking, I
think I could have just swapped out jar files as well, but didn't want to
take the chance since it was kind of an emergency.

Brandon

what about upgrading using rpm (under redhat linux)?
is it safe in a production environment?
thank you

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: How to upgrade form 4.1.12 to 4.1.16beta?

Posted by Marco Baiguera <ma...@bresciaonline.it>.

Re: Tomcat went unconcious :-)

Posted by Praveen Wicliff <wi...@hotpop.com>.
That is difficult to believe. But in either case, I think its more to do
with the page cache in the browser (assuming your programming is right
:-)....try to delete temp. internet files and try again.

Praveen Wicliff