Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Julien HENRY <he...@yahoo.fr> on 2011/11/09 09:48:43 UTC

Invalid pom in a range => unable to build

Hi,

I have a project using a range as version for a dependency. From Maven 3 release notes I can see that:
> Last but not least, Maven 3 inspects the POMs of all matching versions when processing version ranges to enable sophisticated conflict resolution.

My concern is that among all versions of the dependency matching the range, there is one with a broken POM. Because there is a newer version that is not broken, I was expecting the build to complete. But it seems it is not the case. I have an error like this:
Caused by: org.apache.maven.project.DependencyResolutionException: Could not resolve dependencies for project XXXXXXXXX: Failed to collect dependencies for [......]
Caused by: org.sonatype.aether.resolution.ArtifactDescriptorException: Failed to read artifact descriptor for xxxxxxxx (where xxxx is not the newest version in the range).

A solution could be to fix or remove the broken version from my corporate repository, but AFAIK this is not a scalable solution (it would require to clean all private repos in the company). When not using range, the Maven "way" is to release a new fixed version of an artifact when something goes wrong. But with range it doesn't work.

Would it be possible to ignore broken candidates when processing a range? At least when this is not the last version.

Thanks

Julien