Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Bowen Li <bo...@gmail.com> on 2019/08/19 18:07:47 UTC

[DISCUSS] Upgrade kinesis connector to Apache 2.0 License and include it in official release

Hi all,

A while back we discussed upgrading flink-connector-kinesis module to
Apache 2.0 license so that its jar can be published as part of official
Flink releases. Given we have a large user base using Flink with
kinesis/dynamodb streams, it'll free users from building and maintaining
the module themselves, and improve user and developer experience. A ticket
was created [1] but has been idle mainly due to new releases of some aws
libs are not available yet then.

As of today I see that all flink-connector-kinesis's aws dependencies have
been updated to Apache 2.0 license and are released. They include:

- aws-java-sdk-kinesis
- aws-java-sdk-sts
- amazon-kinesis-client
- amazon-kinesis-producer (Apache 2.0 from 0.13.1, released 18 days ago) [2]
- dynamodb-streams-kinesis-adapter (Apache 2.0 from 1.5.0, released 7 days
ago) [3]

Therefore, I'd suggest we kick off the initiative and aim for release 1.10
which is roughly 3 months away, leaving us plenty of time to finish.
According to @Dyana 's comment in the ticket [1], seems some large chunks
of changes need to be made into multiple parts than simply upgrading lib
versions, so we can further break the JIRA down into sub-tasks to limit
scope of each change for easier code review.

@Dyana would you still be interested in carrying the responsibility and
forwarding the effort?

Thanks,
Bowen

[2] https://github.com/awslabs/amazon-kinesis-producer/releases
[3] https://github.com/awslabs/dynamodb-streams-kinesis-adapter/releases

Re: [DISCUSS] Upgrade kinesis connector to Apache 2.0 License and include it in official release

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.
+1 for KCL 1.x changes only.

I also think it would make sense to align FLIP-27 work and KCL 2.x related
changes, since these will require a hardening cycle with extensive testing
that is probably not practical to repeat.

Posted by Bowen Li <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dyana Rose <dy...@salecycle.com>.
ok great,

Posted by "Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai" <tz...@apache.org>.