Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> on 1996/02/05 04:42:12 UTC

more Keep-Alive - possible problem

Hmm...

Well, I got back this evening, and finially got some more time to play
around with Keep-Alive stuff. I took a fresh Apache 1.0.2, patched on 90d
(thanks for the revised timeout stuff, Rob), and started playing around a
little.

I have noticed something very alarming: Using Netscape 2.0b6a for the
Mac, it doesn't quite work right: When it sends a document with
Keep-Alive, it just sorta hangs there after its done, until the
connection times out. I have the KeepAliveTimeout set to 15 secs, and
when I request a document, Netscape stays at the "100% of <size>" stage
for 15 seconds until it goes to "Document: Done". Which is bad.

Maybe it's just me... I don't know. Rob Hartill is using Keep-Alive over on
www.cs.cf.ac.uk, but I can't tell if it's happening there, because I'm on
a 14.4, and all his pages are long enough that by the time it's all
arrived at my client, it's been more than four seconds since he sent it,
and the timeout (which he has set to four seconds) has passed. Rob, would
you mind putting a page soemwhere there that only has one word on it or
so, so I could see if it still does that?

If Netscape's implementation really is broken (haven't tried it with 2.0,
but I don't imagine they made many radical changes between 2.0b6a and
2.0), I'm going to scream and shout and hurt someone. Maybe it's Apache
(which can be fixed). Maybe it's me (who can be killed). NCSA httpd 1.5
has Keep-Alive support, I believe, does anyone have experience using that
with Netscape 2.0 (Mac, specifically, but maybe others too)? *sigh*

--/ Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> /--------/ Lefler on IRC