Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Steven Cummings <cu...@netscape.net> on 2003/06/03 23:09:59 UTC

Unable to get transformer handler for stylesheets/blah.xsl

Hello,

Is anybody else getting this sort of an error in 2.1m2 or 2.1cvs (shown below the main text of this message)? I went through the Cocoon sources for TraxTransformer, which led me to XSLTProcessorImpl from Avalon-Excalibur and the piece of code I found (around XSLTProcessorImpl.java:320) indicated that the Templates instance obtained from the TemplateHandler is null, which of course propogated to the message seen below. This leads me to believe that there is a problem with the stylesheet, but there really isn't. It's just a modified version of dynamic-page2html.xsl from Cocoon itself, and has worked for me up until I tried upgrading to m2 or cvs.

Here's where the problem (see messages below) gets worse. I have another webapp, also built on 2.1m2, and when they are running side by side in the same tomcat container, the other one works and this one doesn't. They each have some (separate) XSLTs that they use for rendering. They both have the exact same set of components included and the same set excluded  (commented-out) from the default cocoon.xconf. Their logkit.xconf and instrumentation.xconf files are identical. Their web.xml files are the same except for the application display-name. Finally, their sets of jar-files in WEB-INF/lib are identifical. I know most of these details will have nothing to do with the problem, but I thought I'd include them anyway.

I've also attached the stylesheet that I get the error for, and the stylesheets that it includes. I don't know if other stylesheets get the same error and it is not specific to this one because the remaining pipelines are behind auth-protect actions and I haven't yet taken the time to move some to un-protected pipelines/matches so that they could be tested for the problem (and a lot of them depend on auth-contexts anyway).

This seems like such a fundamental type of problem that I must be missing something. Can anybody with experience with these newer versions of cocoon see what might be my problem?

TIA
/S

Relevant info:
Windows XP
Java 1.4.1_02
Tomcat 4.1.24 (LE-jdk14)
Cocoon 2.1m2 (2.1cvs has been tried as well)

Here is the page-output for the error:

--------------------->8-----------------------------------------------------
Message: null
Sender: org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet
Source: Cocoon Servlet

Request URI
loginpage

cause
Unable to create templates for stylesheet: file:/path/to/stylesheets/blah.xsl

request-uri
/my-app/loginpage
----------------------8<----------------------------------------------------

Here are the details from error.log:

--------------------->8-----------------------------------------------------
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Unable to get transformer handler for stylesheets/blah.xsl: org.apache.excalibur.xml.xslt.XSLTProcessorException: Exception in creating Transform Handler
    at org.apache.cocoon.transformation.TraxTransformer.setup(TraxTransformer.java:307)

(more traceback left out...)

Caused by: org.apache.excalibur.xml.xslt.XSLTProcessorException: Exception in creating Transform Handler
    at org.apache.excalibur.xml.xslt.XSLTProcessorImpl.getTransformerHandlerAndValidity(XSLTProcessorImpl.java:380)
    at org.apache.cocoon.transformation.TraxTransformer.setup(TraxTransformer.java:302)
    ... 45 more
Caused by: org.apache.excalibur.xml.xslt.XSLTProcessorException: Unable to create templates for stylesheet: file:/path/to/stylesheets/blah.xsl
    at org.apache.excalibur.xml.xslt.XSLTProcessorImpl.getTransformerHandlerAndValidity(XSLTProcessorImpl.java:320)
    ... 46 more

--
Steven Cummings
Columbia, MO

Re: Unable to get transformer handler for stylesheets/blah.xsl

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hello Steven,

it's XSLTC who does give so exhaustive messages. Try to use Xalan for
this particular transformation, maybe you get a real error message.

Are you refering external resources from the stylesheet (xsl:import,
xsl:include, document())?

Joerg