Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/08/10 02:24:00 UTC

Yes. You can do this with OpenOffice. (MysteryGuitarMan video with OpenOffice Mac)

If you don't know this guy's work you should really check it out.  He
has over 2 million YouTube subscribers.  It is hard to describe, but
I'd say it is 1/3 one-man band, 1/3 stop motion animation, 1/3 green
screen work.  And 100% fun.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MysteryGuitarMan

His latest video is called "Stop-Motion Excel".  But if you look
closely you see that he is actually using OpenOffice for the Mac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq9EV2fYF2E

And here is the "behind the scenes" video that explains how he did it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PCTinsZ7dM

This is a fun video and good for showing friends and family what you
are working on.  Let's try to get the world out, via the social
networking site, both project's and personal.   And if you want to add
a comment to the YouTube post pointing out that this is OpenOffice and
it can be downloaded for free from www.openoffice.org, then great!
This is a good way to introduce the product to more users.

Bonus points for adapting an old ASCII Art algorithm to generate a
spreadsheet from a photo.  If anyone can do that I'll interview them
for a blog post and show of their work.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Yes. You can do this with OpenOffice. (MysteryGuitarMan video with OpenOffice Mac)

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/8/9 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>:
> If you don't know this guy's work you should really check it out.  He
> has over 2 million YouTube subscribers.  It is hard to describe, but
> I'd say it is 1/3 one-man band, 1/3 stop motion animation, 1/3 green
> screen work.  And 100% fun.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/user/MysteryGuitarMan
>
> His latest video is called "Stop-Motion Excel".  But if you look
> closely you see that he is actually using OpenOffice for the Mac:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq9EV2fYF2E
>
> And here is the "behind the scenes" video that explains how he did it:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PCTinsZ7dM
>
> This is a fun video and good for showing friends and family what you
> are working on.  Let's try to get the world out, via the social
> networking site, both project's and personal.   And if you want to add
> a comment to the YouTube post pointing out that this is OpenOffice and
> it can be downloaded for free from www.openoffice.org, then great!
> This is a good way to introduce the product to more users.
>
> Bonus points for adapting an old ASCII Art algorithm to generate a
> spreadsheet from a photo.  If anyone can do that I'll interview them
> for a blog post and show of their work.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

So Good!

Albino

Re: Yes. You can do this with OpenOffice. (MysteryGuitarMan video with OpenOffice Mac)

Posted by tj <tj...@apache.org>.
On 8/10/2012 14:29, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2012, at 7:05 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 3:18 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> (answering below so that Paolo gets all context; he is not subscribed so CC
>>> him if relevant)

>>> Paolo Mantovani, an expert of OpenOffice macros and an OpenOffice.org
>>> Conference speaker, published his "Macro and Rock&Roll" series back in 2008.
>>> See for example
>>> http://ooomacros.blogspot.it/2008/12/macro-e-rock-3_14.html
>>> and the embedded AC/DC video there. It looks like he might be the man you
>>> are looking for.
>>>

>> That's totally insane!  Great work.
>>
>> It makes me think that there could be some value in thinking "outside
>> of the box" and rethinking multimedia in the context of a spreadsheet.
>>
>> For example, today the only data type a cell can contain is a number
>> and a string.  Boolean and date as well, but they are just special
>> kinds of numbers.
>>
>> What if we had an intrinsic data type for an image?  Or a sound clip?
>> And functions that could operate on these data types.
>>
>> For example, if an image is added to a cell (via edit menu, or paste
>> or drag & drop) then it can operate like a normal data type for many
>> operations.
>>
>> So if there is an image in cell A1 and another in B1, then the formula
>> =(A1+B1)/2 would yield an image that average the two.  Diffing images,
>> scaling them, etc., have natural interpretations.
>>
>> You could even have new spreadsheet functions that operate directly on
>> image data, e.g., sharpen, blur, FFT, deconvolution, etc.
>>
>> You could imagine the same with a data type for audio.
>
> Why limit this to images and audio? Have spreadsheets store object references. The objects can be xml constructs. Objects implement some set of operators and common functions while the stubs for others automatically return an error.
>
> You could return custom objects from special functions and it would be cool if those were drawing objects attached to the cell or range.
>
> =MyHighQualityLogChart(A1,B1,C1:1000,D1:1000)
>
> If the object type is not available on the machine then the cell is automatically protected. This becomes a great way to send results to clients.
>

>> So this gets more similar to a Mathematica type experience, where you
>> can have calculations that mix standard numerical operations, but also
>> interact with multimedia, both as a source and a destination for data.
>> For example, you can take a range of data, calculated based on other
>> formula, and "render" it as a sound or an image.
>>
>> It is an opportunity.  Spreadsheets have not really enhance their
>> basic computational model since Visicalc.
>
> Very intriguing. People love to use spreadsheets to define business processes and trade analytic models.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>

>> -Rob
>>

>>> Regards,
>>>   Andrea.

Good idea: there are lots of good uses for pictures (and other objects)
in spreadsheets. But the actual picture manipulations might be better
put into Draw (or another module — "Pix"? "Snappy"?), where they would
be of use for pictures in all the other documents (spreadsheets, text,
presentations, databases).

/tj/

Re: Yes. You can do this with OpenOffice. (MysteryGuitarMan video with OpenOffice Mac)

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I was curious about the "provenance" of the .xls version of the AC/DC ASCII-art video so I looked into the file.  The properties include a creation date of 2008-10-14 by Phil Clandillon.  This is what Phil Clandillon says about the award-winning Excel Video: http://work.clandillon.com/#AC-DC-Rocks-the-Office

This version was designed to promote the release of "Black Ice" and gives a track list, with "Rock N Roll Train" as the first track.  Since (according to Wikipedia) digital versions were not authorized by AC/DC, the Excel-embedded partial track is a rarity.  There are links in the spreadsheet, to BeingAngus.com.  That domain is defunct, but acdcrocks.com is still working.  The video has more block-lettered caption scrolls during the lead-in that are not from the same file.  The single-sheet file acdc.xls is the download.  You can see it in the YouTube video, along with the play and stop buttons and a portion of the track list on the right hand of the screen.

Oh, and Wikipedia is out of date about MP3s.  Amazon.com has a few (but not "Rock and Roll Train") plus many more from tribute and cover bands.

Fans of the band will enjoy the video about the creation of the "Rock N Roll Train" music video that was used to promote the album: < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys5eEpT0_S0>.

The result is at <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3kDWF_CSdo>.  In it you can see that the ASCII video was derived from some of the green-screen insertions in the full video.

 - orcmid (who loves this stuff)

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
On 2012/08/12 21:34, Rob Weir said:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 8:55 AM, imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw> wrote:
>>     I had posted a video reply:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqJXYPG-5Bc
>>
>>     I do not know why it did not show in the reply of the original
>> video.  This is my first time to reply by video, though. ^^;
>>

> Awesome!
>
> Are you able to do it with the AOO logo:
> http://people.apache.org/~robweir/img2calc/logo-200x200.png

    Sure, why not?  ^_*'  See the attachment.

> That is 200x200 pixels.  Is that too large?

    Size does not matter. ^_*'

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>

Re: Yes. You can do this with OpenOffice. (MysteryGuitarMan video with OpenOffice Mac)

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi *,

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 03:31:46AM +0800, imacat wrote:
> On 2012/08/12 21:08, Ariel Constenla-Haile said:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM, imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw> wrote:
> >>     I had posted a video reply:
> >>
> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqJXYPG-5Bc
> >
> > you could use recordmydesktop / gtk-recordmydesktop /
> > qt-recordmydesktop to capture your desktop.
>
> Thank you.  I tried to use gtk-recordMyDesktop to record a new video:
>
> http://youtu.be/8Nyp7xUBXto

Nice :)

> Strange that the sound is not recorded. ^^;

This may be a big with your distro's version. AFAIK you can add it some
music, once uploaded in Youtube, with Youtube's own editing tools. Or
you can add audio before uploading it, with some of the tools available
on Linux: from the simplest PiTiVi http://www.pitivi.org to the complex
Cinelerra http://cinelerra.org/ there are many other options.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Yes. You can do this with OpenOffice. (MysteryGuitarMan video with OpenOffice Mac)

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
    I had posted a video reply:

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
On 2012/08/12 21:13, Ariel Constenla-Haile said:
> Hi imacat,
>
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 8:17 AM, imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw> wrote:
>>     I've uploaded a simple initial release.  You are welcome to help me
>> improve it.
>>
>> http://sf.net/projects/calcmosaic/
>
> you are using some Java API. A nice idea would trying to do everything
> with AOO API, so that the same example can then be written in AOO
> Basic, PyUNO, etc.
> That said, I can't guarantee you'll find everything you need, but in
> any case this is a good chance to ask for AOO API enhancements.

    No, that's currently impossible.  Actually I'm not good at
OpenOffice source, but at client UNO API application.  I studied it long
ago.  And I doubt if that is any useful.

    If Java can do it better, why not?  I'm not using Java because I
love Java, but because I can link to the whole Java SDK and everything
else.  I had even created an Android App using UNO API earlier this
year.  Will UNO API does that "everything else" (including the Android
library), too?  I'm afraid that is not necessary, and is not possible.
The same goes for Python, C++, too.

    Besides, UNO API is slow.  UNO API constantly serializes mass amount
of objects in and out through network socket.  I can save this if I only
does the necessary parts with UNO API, but leave other object exchange
within a same Java process.

    And UNO API is tedious.  The UNO type casting and exception handling
sucks.  (Read my code.)  If I do everything with UNO API (if that is
possible), I might not finish it in 400 lines and by now, and it makes
others more difficult to read the code.

    I believe OpenOffice Basic tried to do everything before, but
failed.  It is fine to keep it as it is.

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>

Re: Yes. You can do this with OpenOffice. (MysteryGuitarMan video with OpenOffice Mac)

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi imacat,

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
Well, see the attachment. ^_*'
(Sorry that I do not know you are already discussing this.)

Picture curtsey of Elena Botoeva
http://www.texample.net/tikz/examples/poppy/

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>

Re: Yes. You can do this with OpenOffice. (MysteryGuitarMan video with OpenOffice Mac)

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
    Well, this came to my mind:

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>

Re: Yes. You can do this with OpenOffice. (MysteryGuitarMan video with OpenOffice Mac)

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Risto Jääskeläinen <rj...@saunalahti.fi>.
Hello!

This was too much challenge for me so my CalcTV is a bit unfinnished
(-;  But compared to PixelMatrix i think using Cell styles may be a bit
faster than lookup table?

Dont know if attachment is OK but I try to send small spreadsheet.

Greetings
Risto

Posted by Andreas Säger <vi...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.