Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Arnette, Bill" <bi...@signalscape.com> on 2005/06/16 15:28:11 UTC

FSFS and file:// access method on Windows network share

Forgive me if this is a FAQ but,

Can the file:// access method be used safely for accessing an FSFS-based
repository on a Windows network share?

A lot of the documentation hints that it can, but does not state it in
such words.

If it can, is there a need for svnserve on a Windows network?

Thanks,
Bill

Re: FSFS and file:// access method on Windows network share

Posted by Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org>.
On Jun 16, 2005, at 11:28 AM, Arnette, Bill wrote:

> Forgive me if this is a FAQ but,
>
> Can the file:// access method be used safely for accessing an FSFS-
> based
> repository on a Windows network share?

I've never done it but from following various messages posted here it
appears that others have.

> A lot of the documentation hints that it can, but does not state it in
> such words.
>
> If it can, is there a need for svnserve on a Windows network?

I suspect svnserve will offer better performance.  I believe it will
generate less network traffic, since the svnserve process can access
the repository files locally to do a lot of what must be done
remotely when using the file:// protocol.

Scott