Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Stephane Auger <sa...@kronos.ca> on 2003/12/09 14:54:01 UTC

[users@httpd] HTTP Download Server

Hi everyone!

  Let's say I want to make an HTTP download server, but I need to
authenticate the people who'll download... my site would be, say,
www.test.com and the download section would be www.test.com/dl and you would
need a user and password to get in.  Does anyone know how I can do that with
Apache2?   Thanks!

--
Stephane Auger

Re: [users@httpd] HTTP Download Server

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Marty Landman wrote:

> At 08:54 AM 12/9/2003, Stephane Auger wrote:
>
> >   Let's say I want to make an HTTP download server, but I need to
> >authenticate the people who'll download... my site would be, say,
> >www.test.com and the download section would be www.test.com/dl and you would
> >need a user and password to get in.
>
> Put a .htaccess file on the directory and then set up as many userid/pw
> combos as you like. There's a good tutorial on this method here
> http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/tutorials/user.html.

Nice thought, but that tutorial is 8 years old, and is for a different web
server (NCSA httpd).  The danger is that it recommends a configuration
that *appears* to work in apache, but actually opens some major security
holes (<Limit GET>...</Limit>).

Please use the apache tutorial that was recommended in another message.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] HTTP Download Server

Posted by Marty Landman <ML...@face2interface.com>.
At 08:54 AM 12/9/2003, Stephane Auger wrote:

>   Let's say I want to make an HTTP download server, but I need to
>authenticate the people who'll download... my site would be, say,
>www.test.com and the download section would be www.test.com/dl and you would
>need a user and password to get in.

Put a .htaccess file on the directory and then set up as many userid/pw
combos as you like. There's a good tutorial on this method here
http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/tutorials/user.html.

hth,

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
Sign On Required: Web membership software for your site