Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2021/01/06 17:36:10 UTC

[DAEMON] Using the commons release plugin

Hi,

I've had a chance to look at the commons release plugin and daemon again
- primarily as a way of generating the text for the VOTE email.

The current Commons Daemon specific release guide is:
https://github.com/apache/commons-daemon/blob/master/HOWTO-RELEASE.txt

If, at the end of the Maven tasks section, one does:
mvn commons-release:vote-txt

(and assuming the tag was created with the correct name) the vote text
is incomplete primarily because the SHA-512 hashes are missing.

This really needs looking at by someone who understands the commons
release plugin. The following are my notes that may, or may not, be useful.

1. The Nexus repo ID does not appear to be picked up. This can be
specified on the command line.

2. The previous version does not appear to be picked up. This can be
specified on the command line.

3. Using
   mvn deploy -Dcommons.release.isDistModule=true -Prelease
   rather than
   mvn deploy -Prelease
   generates the hashes (and the local copy of the tree for dist.a.o)
   but prevents those artifacts from being uploaded to Maven. Daemon
   needs then in both locations

For now I continue to use various manual hacks to get everything lined
up. It may well be that, given the frequency of Daemon releases, that a
couple of documented (better yet scripted) hacks for the release process
will be a more cost effective solution. I'd be fine with that and can
look at that for the next release (candidate).

Mark

Re: [DAEMON] Using the commons release plugin

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
EWRONGLIST

Sorry,

Mark