Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Blomstrom <da...@yahoo.com> on 2004/06/09 10:18:41 UTC

[users@httpd] Blocking Visitors

I'd like to learn how to block certain visitors or
computers from my website. I remember reading that you
could do it with Apache - based on their IP number, I
believe.

Am I correct in stating that every computer has an IP
number? If so, how do I determine what my IP number
is?

Also, what tricks could a visitor use in beating the
block? In other words, imagine I had an online forum
that requires users to register with a username and
password. If I block a visitor (computer) with IP
number 007, that individual could still register if
s/he had a second computer with a different IP number,
right? Is there any way they can register with the
same computer - like through an "anonymizer" or
something? Are there ways they can hide or change
their IP numbers?

Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] Blocking Visitors

Posted by Joey Hewitt <jo...@joeyhewitt.com>.
Tim Burden <ti...@burden.ca> wrote:
> I assume you have some kind of automated (free) registration system, and
> that's why you can't just ban by username. If you are banning people from
> your forums or whatever by IP address, they'll get back in the next time
> their IP address changes, which is the next time they dial up, or more
> rarely (but still regularly) if they are on DSL. So even non-geeks will
get
> in, without having to do anything special.
>
> A computer can also have more than one IP address at one time, too. And, a
> single IP address can have more than one computer behind it (think masq
> router or proxy). So really there is not much you can tell about the
> identity of a user by his IP address.

I just had an interesting idea.  Perhaps you could fetch NetBIOS usernames,
computer names, and workgroup names, and block based on them.  It's not very
nice to "exploit" this, but whatever they did to deserve being blocked
wasn't nice either. ;)  'Course, that's assuming that your users are silly
enough to run Windows with NetBIOS over TCP/IP and not have a decent
firewall in place.  Actually, I'd be interested in statistics for just how
many web site visitors to a fairly busy site are open to this.  Just my 2
cents...
==Joey

Posted by Steven Pierce <pa...@speakeasy.net>.

David,

If you are using the same ISP that does not mean by having
a second computer that you will be able to register a new account.
If the person that is blocking you, is blocking an entire range, you
can have a hundred computers and it willmake little difference.
So if this person is blocking all 192.168.0.x then unless you get
an IP address from a NEW ISP you will still be blocked.
Now if the person is just blocking 192.168.0.1 if you can get
192.168.0.2 then you would be OK.

** Yes I know this is a private IP, using as an example**

I would guess that if the person wants you out bad enough that
they will block a RANGE of IP's. So again a new computer is not
going to help...

Re: [users@httpd] "C is not a recognized protocol"

Posted by Eugene Lee <li...@fsck.net>.
On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 06:51:51PM -0700, David Blomstrom wrote:
:
: <?php include
: ($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']."/includes/footer.php"); ?>
:
: It works fine, but I'm having trouble applying it to
: non-include links. For example, if I change this
: link...
:
: <a href="../../world/index.php">World</a>
:
: to this...
:
: <a href="<?php echo
: $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']."world/index.php"?>">World</a>

This won't work.  In PHP, it expects absolute pathnames based on the
real filesystem itself.  Statements like include() and require() and
any file I/O functions will work with absolute pathnames.  But your
HTML file does *not* work with absolute pathnames based on the real
filesystem.  It does work with pathnames that appear to be absolute,
but in reality are relative to the *start* of Apache's document root.

: Does this mean there's something wrong with my virtual
: host set up, or is this a PHP problem?

It's more of a PHP problem, although it is not only a PHP problem.
This difference is between the absolute filesystem pathname vs. the
relative ("document root") pathname that starts from some point
within the absolute pathname filesystem.

--
Eugene Lee

Re: [users@httpd] "C is not a recognized protocol"

Posted by Chris <li...@leftbrained.org>.
Try changing

Windows *needs* backslashes , and file is the correct protocol (though I think if you *just* change the backslashes it will still work.

Chris

Posted by Thomas Gabrielsen <ap...@arton.no>.

http://www.myip.com

Posted by "Barth (John) Jones" <mu...@alltel.net>.
David, here are some links to instructions regarding .htaccess:

https://bama.ua.edu/manual/howto/auth.html

https://bama.ua.edu/manual/howto/htaccess.html

I recently succeeded incorporating .htaccess into my site and I'm brand new
with Apache so it's not too hard.  You just have to do the research.

You can use two IPs for your local computer: http://localhost or
http://127.0.0.1

This address can be used from your browser to access the index if your local
computer is also serving your website (if you have an index--if not just
trail with /filepath/file.whatever).  This makes developing your site a lot
smoother because you don't have to upload your pages every time you want to
test them.

Posted by Koen Vingerhoets <ko...@ubench.be>.
Hi,

every computer with a network card has an IP.
If no cable connected, or when badly configured, MS (I assume that's what
most people use) assigns an adress in the 169.x.x.x range.
On local networks, you can use 192.168.x.x.  VPN networks usually use
10.x.x.x
When connected to the internet, you can compare the PC to your house.
Your adress consists of country, community, street, number
Your IP is your adress, with each number narrowing down the range.

To beat the block:
- use a modem, different IP every time
- use a proxy(chain), different IP

Hiding/changing is usually called spoofing.  While many tools are available
(google), you can only completely spoof your IP on Unix.

Koen