Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Andrew Brown <an...@shopify.com.INVALID> on 2018/11/14 02:05:15 UTC

metric.reporters dynamic config

Hi!

I'm trying to set metric.reporters as a cluster-wide dynamic config
(specifically for setting up Cruise Control, as it happens), and I've found
that our 2.0.0 brokers aren't picking up the new config - they only do so
when the brokers restart.

I'm not setting metric.reporters in the server.properties file at this
point, and we are also setting broker-specific configurations
(e.g. follower.replication.throttled.rate).

Is there anything I'm missing to get this to work without a broker/cluster
restart? I've read through the documentation to see if I've missed
anything, but I can't see anything obvious - it seems that by executing
`bin/kafka-configs.sh --bootstrap-server localhost:9092 --entity-type
brokers --entity-default --alter --add-config
metric.reporters=com.linkedin.kafka.cruisecontrol.metricsreporter.CruiseControlMetricsReporter`
it should Just Work.

I'm happy to provide any other information that might be needed here.

Thanks,
Andrew

Re: metric.reporters dynamic config

Posted by Andrew Brown <an...@shopify.com.INVALID>.
I did some digging into our broker logs, and it looks like the failure is
coming from Cruise Control - it's trying to cast an Integer into a String
and throwing an Exception.  I'll take things over there for follow-up.
Sorry for bothering! :)