Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dennis <ar...@yahoo.com.cn> on 2011/02/24 04:21:23 UTC

[users@httpd] a few "esi:include" in a .php file?

Hi, guys,
The "ESI Language Specification 1.0" (http://www.w3.org/TR/esi-lang) says "ESI Processor implementations may limit the number of includes used in a single ESI resource."I am using apache 2.2.Can I use a few "<!--#esi:include virtual="SOME_URL_HERE" esi_end-->" in one .php file?
Thanks.Dennis

Re: [users@httpd] a few "esi:include" in a .php file?

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:13:27 -0000 (UTC)
Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org> wrote:

> Sure you can, but it won't be interpreted. Neither by PHP nor by
> Apache httpd. The list of F/OSS HTTP servers/caches which do support
> ESI is quite comprehensive so far:

FWIW, I did once implement an ESI parser for Apache.  I recollect it
featuring in my presentation at ApacheCon 2003, when I had been
getting into the power of the filtering framework to process markup.

There was no interest in it, so I made no attempt to maintain it.
Though it would be less work to reimplement now, based either on
current mod_xmlns or mod_xml2, together with the ap_expr framework.

--
Nick Kew

Available for work, contract or permanent.
http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html

Re: [users@httpd] a few "esi:include" in a .php file?

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> > says "ESI Processor implementations may limit the number of
> > includes
> > used in a single ESI resource."
> > I am using apache 2.2.
> > Can I use a few "<!--#esi:include virtual="SOME_URL_HERE"
> > esi_end-->"
> > in one .php file?
>
> Sure you can, but it won't be interpreted. Neither by PHP nor by
> Apache httpd. The list of F/OSS HTTP servers/caches which do support
> ESI is quite comprehensive so far:
>
> * Varnish
> * Squid
> * mongrel-esi

But there's at least one PHP framework which does support ESI:

http://drupal.org/project/esi

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: [users@httpd] a few "esi:include" in a .php file?

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> says "ESI Processor implementations may limit the number of includes
> used in a single ESI resource."
> I am using apache 2.2.
> Can I use a few "<!--#esi:include virtual="SOME_URL_HERE" esi_end-->"
> in one .php file?

Sure you can, but it won't be interpreted. Neither by PHP nor by
Apache httpd. The list of F/OSS HTTP servers/caches which do support
ESI is quite comprehensive so far:

* Varnish
* Squid
* mongrel-esi