Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/05 15:29:01 UTC

I'm recapping our ApacheCon presnetation at the NE JUG next week,
along with Jason's Javapolis presentation. I'll get updated copies of
both presentations up on the Struts University wiki.

* http://StrutsUniversity.org/Presentations

As I understand it, the general plan at this point is:

 0. Encourage everyone to become involved in both projects
 1. Ship WebWork 2.2 final
 2. Resolve any incubator issues in the Open Symphony CVS
 3. Vote on the accepting the code, and clear the IP with the Incubator
 4. Import the donated code into the Struts repository
 5. Develop Struts Action 1.x to 2.x migration tools
 6. Develop a MailReader for WW 2.2
 7. Migrate Struts features as desired (chain support, wildcards, etc)
 8. Develop a migration guide, for both applications and developers
 9. Release Struts Action 2.0.0 when ready

Of course, some steps can be asychronous. Some of us are already
working on #3-#6, for example. A few thoughts on #3 are on the wiki
page,

* http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsAction2

and Don Brown and Rich Feit have started on the infrastructure for the
Conversion Wizard in the sandbox/ti/phase1/jars/legacy directory.

* http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/struts/sandbox/trunk/ti/phase1/jars/legacy/

As to #0 and #1, it looks like the code is ready for the next WW2.2
RC, but the community is thinking that they need more documentation
first, so that this can be the best WW release ever.

* http://forums.opensymphony.com/thread.jspa?threadID=12094

WebWork has also started to rework their slate of example
applications. [Sounds familiar, don't it :)]

* http://forums.opensymphony.com/thread.jspa?threadID=11830

As to #4, there's been a back-and-forth about retaining history from
external projects, but the current thinking seems to be that it's OK
to import history from other open source projects. Film at 11.

As to #6, I've updated the MailReader for Struts Action 1.3. I working
on an Action 1.x training course right now.

* http://StrutsUniversity.org/MailReader+Training+Course

As soon as that is done, I'll get back to creating a version with both
Struts Action 1.3 and WebWork 2.2 versions of the MailReader in the
same application, so we can compare apples to apples. I'd also like to
rework the course for Action 2.x (as well as Shale).

-Ted.