Posted to user@fineract.apache.org by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org> on 2016/11/22 16:51:01 UTC

What is the purpose of the loan term vs number of repayments?

Hi community,

Could somebody explain to me why we have an input field for loan term in
addition to number of repayments.

It always just seemed like an extraneous field that one manually had
compute in one's head based on the number of repayments multiplied by the
repayment frequency.

Why I think it should be removed:

1) It's confusing to the user and extraneous
2) It also appears that it really has no bearing on the actual term of the
loan as the only validation for term is that loan term frequency must match
that of repayment frequency. However if you submit a loan account with a
term of 24 months and 12 monthly repayments, the repayment schedule
rightfully has 12 monthly installments.
3) Term is nowhere to be found in the loan product configuration, just the
configuration of number of repayments.

Am I missing some use case whereby a loan has a term or maturity date
that's longer than the number of installments

If so, shouldn't we then only make this configurable when so desired since
it's an edge case.

--
*Ed Cable*

RE: What is the purpose of the loan term vs number of repayments?

Posted by Adi Raju <ad...@confluxtechnologies.com>.
Hi,

I can’t see any technical significance from the code either.

Regards,

Adi

Principal Architect,  <http://www.confluxtechnologies.com/> Conflux Technologies Pvt Ltd

Address: #304, 2nd Floor, 7th Main Road, HRBR Layout 1st Block, Bengaluru, Karnataka, 560043 INDIA

Disclaimer: The information contained in this e-mail message and any files/attachment transmitted with it is confidential and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) or entity identified. If you are not the intended recipient, please email:  <ma...@confluxtechnologies.com> support@confluxtechnologies.com and destroy/delete all copies and attachment thereto along with the original message. Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly prohibited and is unlawful. The recipient acknowledges that Conflux Technologies Private Limited or its subsidiaries and associated companies are unable to exercise control or ensure or guarantee the integrity of/over the contents of the information contained in e-mail transmissions. Before opening any attachments, please check.

Finflux

Posted by Subramanya M K <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ed,

Posted by Dayna Harp <dh...@mifos.org>.
I agree that manually entering the number of repayments leads to confusion.  Loan term is the key number of use as most FI’s loan policies speak to maximum allowable loan term and amount.
If a client has a loan for a period of 2 years or 24 months
If they select monthly repayment, the repayment should automatically calculate to 24.
If they select bi-weekly payments, the system should automatically calculate 52.
If they select weekly repayment, the system should automatically calculate 104.

On Nov 22, 2016, at 10:51 AM, Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org> wrote:

[...]

edcable@mifos.org <ma...@mifos.org> | Skype: edcable | Mobile: +1.484.477.8649

Collectively Creating a World of 3 Billion Maries | http://mifos.org <http://mifos.org/>  <http://facebook.com/mifos>  <http://www.twitter.com/mifos>

Dayna Harp
Director Global Credit Union Inclusion, The Mifos Initiative
dharp@mifos.org <ma...@mifos.org> | Skype: harpcreek | Mobile:  +501 628.9686

Ending Poverty One Line of Code at a Time | http://mifos.org <http://mifos.org/>  <http://facebook.com/mifos>

  <http://facebook.com/mifos>

 <http://www.twitter.com/mifos>