Posted to jcs-users@jakarta.apache.org by "Cooper, Jeremy" <je...@retirementpartner.com> on 2007/02/02 18:00:06 UTC

Thread Lockup/Slowdown?

On 2/1/2007 we had a problem where many of our web app threads were waiting for
org.apache.jcs.engine.memory.lru.LRUMemoryCache.verifyCache , See ThreadDumps below.

Any ideas on why this call would hang up most of our threads?  Additionally how could we prevent it?

Thanks
Jeremy

Runnable:
daemon prio=5 tid=0x0084f280 nid=0xa9 runnable [7b5ff000..7b6019c0]      at org.apache.jcs.engine.memory.lru.LRUMemoryCache.verifyCache(LRUMemoryCache.java:639)      at org.apache.jcs.engine.memory.lru.LRUMemoryCache.get(LRUMemoryCache.java:305)      - locked <
0x9f89b968> (a org.apache.jcs.engine.memory.lru.LRUMemoryCache)      at org.apache.jcs.engine.control.CompositeCache.get(CompositeCache.java:452)      at org.apache.jcs.engine.control.CompositeCache.get(CompositeCache.java:413)      at org.apache.jcs.access.CacheAccess.get(CacheAccess.java:195)

All other threads:
daemon prio=5 tid=0x0084fe70 nid=0xaa waiting for monitor entry [7b500000..7b5019c0]      at org.apache.jcs.engine.memory.lru.LRUMemoryCache.get(LRUMemoryCache.java)      - waiting to lock <0x9f89b968> (a org.apache.jcs.engine.memory.lru.LRUMemoryCache)      at org.apache.jcs.engine.control.CompositeCache.get(CompositeCache.java:452)      at org.apache.jcs.engine.control.CompositeCache.get(CompositeCache.java:413)      at org.apache.jcs.access.CacheAccess.get(CacheAccess.java:195)

The information contained in this message and any accompanying attachments may contain privileged, private and/or confidential information protected by state and federal law. Penalties may be assessed for unauthorized use and/or disclosure. This message and any attachments are intended for the designated recipient only. If you have received this information in error, please notify the sender immediately and return or destroy the information.

This e-mail transmission and any attachments are believed to have been sent free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened. It is, however, the recipient's responsibility to ensure that the e-mail transmission and any attachments are virus free, and the sender accepts no responsibility for any damage that may in any way arise from their use.

RE: Thread Lockup/Slowdown?

Posted by "Cooper, Jeremy" <je...@retirementpartner.com>.
So if I understand you correctly, logging or logger level was the cause of this lockup/slowndown?

Don't run JCS with the JCS log levels set to debug.  Verify only executes if you are in debug.  There is so much debug logging, the cache is not usable in this mode.

RE: Thread Lockup/Slowdown?

Posted by "Smuts, Aaron" <Aa...@travelocity.com>.