Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Twiggs, Glenn" <Gl...@bmc.com> on 1999/11/16 23:00:05 UTC

RE: cvs commit: jakarta-tools/ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant A nt.java InvocationHelper.java Project.java Target.java Task.java XmlHelp er.java

Thanks, Dave. Consistency is good.

From: David Brownell

"Twiggs, Glenn" wrote:

> There is an inconsistency in method Ant.processArgs(...):
>
> According to the usage message, the -D option is supposed to process an
arg
> of the form "-Darg=value" but the way it is coded it processes args of the
> form "-Darg value". org.apache.tools.ant.Main.main(...) has the same
> inconsistancy. I am guessing you copied the code? I vote that the "=" is
> removed from the usage message. It's easier than making a code change.

Actually here's a case where I'd vote for consistency, and to fix
the code so it uses "-Darg=value" (like the "java" command) unless
there's a compelling reason to do otherwise.

Yes, even if this causes a few scripts to need changing.  The hassles
of inconsistent "-D..." treatment will be subtle and ongoing, but they
are completely avoidable.

- Dave