Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Akash Xavier <ak...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/25 18:39:52 UTC

Getting the Viewer ID

I used the following code to get the viewer's ID

            function request_viewerID() {
                var req = opensocial.newDataRequest();

req.add(req.newFetchPersonRequest(opensocial.DataRequest.PersonId.VIEWER,
'hashKey'));
                req.send(callback);
            };

            function callback(obj) {
                var viewer = data.get('hashKey').getData();
                return viewer
            };

            viewerID=request_viewerID()
            alert(viewer);

But it doesn't work. Is there anything wrong with the code?

And I also how can I detect which view the app is being run on? (gadget or
profile or cavas or whatever)?

--
Akash Manohar
akashmanohar@gmail.com

Re: Getting the Viewer ID

Posted by David Byttow <da...@google.com>.
Hi Akash,

If you are receiving a bad response, check to make sure that you're calling
req.add correctly. req.add takes two parameters (the constructed request
object and the key id), not newFetchPersonRequest:

req.add(req.newFetchPersonRequest(
    opensocial.DataRequest.PersonId.VIEWER), 'hashKey');

Also, are a number of other things incorrect. Here's a quick snippet of what
I think you're trying to do:

function requestViewerId(callback) {
  var req = opensocial.newDataRequest();
  req.add(req.newFetchPersonRequest('VIEWER'), 'viewer');
  req.send(callback);
}

requestViewerId(function(response) {
  var viewer = response.get('viewer').getData();
  var id = viewer.getId();
  alert(id);
});

Hope this helps!
David

Re: Getting the Viewer ID

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@apache.org>.
Hi Akash,

what is happening? is it returning a null value for the viewer?

try to use the gadgets.views.getCurrentView() to retrieve the current view :
)

Regards,
Adriano Crestani