Posted to dev@livy.apache.org by Damon Cortesi <da...@apache.org> on 2022/12/03 01:20:45 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Livy Dev and Test Environment

Coming back to this as I get my dev environment up and running, there's definitely an intermix of dependencies between Spark, Python, and R that I'm still working out.

For example, when I try to start sparkR I get an error message that "package ‘SparkR’ was built under R version 4.0.4", but locally I have R version 3.5.2 installed. Spark 3.3.1 says you need R 3.5+. That said, think my version of R works with Spark2 (at least the tests indicate that...)

It'd be great to have a minimum viable environment with specific versions and I hope to have that in a Docker environment by early next week. :)

Currently I'm just basing it off a debian image with Java8, although there are Spark images that could be useful...

Damon

Posted by Damon Cortesi <da...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Sumit!

I think I'm leaning towards sticking with ubuntu base images as well. There's not a huge concern here re: image size, so it'd be nice to have a more familiar environment especially if folks end up using this as a local dev environment.

Posted by Sumit Kumar <ks...@apache.org>.

Posted by Damon Cortesi <da...@apache.org>.
Appreciate the feedback!

Posted by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org>.
Hi Damon -

Posted by Damon Cortesi <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sumit Kumar <ks...@apache.org>.
+1 I am looking forward to it too. ---- On Fri, 02 Dec 2022 23:12:36 -0800  jb@nanthrax.net  wrote ----Hi,

yes, I think docker (and eventually k8s yaml files or helm chart) is way better.

I think we could include it in the project and update the started
guide accordingly.

Regards
JB

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.