Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Aaron J Tarter <aj...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/01 13:54:37 UTC

Re: Derby Eclipse Plug-in versus JavaDB or Apache Derby

The current plug-in always includes libraries from the default plug-ins
directory, so custom extension directories will not work.  There is a patch
that fixes this problem here -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1931.  It uses a classpath
container instead of the ECLIPSE_HOME variable.  The classpath container
adds the JARs from wherever they are installed, instead of assuming that
they are installed in the default plug-ins directory.   Please vote for this
issue.

On 9/28/07, danga <dg...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am using the Eclipse Europa RCP platform and lately installed the Apache
> Derby Eclipse plug-ins.
>
> Now I have a few questions:
> 1) Since I also have the javaDB installed (Java 1.6) why should I use the
> plug-in ?
> I notice that the same jar files are available ?
>
> 2) Is it not better to download Apache Derby and install it, instead of
> the
> javaDB
>
> 3) My third question is a bit more complex and is about using the Derby
> plugin outside of my eclipse installation using a link file in my eclipse
> environment that points to the directory where the plugp-in is installed.
>
> I have created a separate directory where I unzipped the Apache Derby
> plug-in. The structure of the directory is
> eclipse-extension\eclipse\plugins\ ....
>
> I added the Apache Derby plug-in's in this directory and I created a
> .eclipseextension file.
> Later I created a link file in my eclipse \link directory.
>
> I restarted Eclipse and checked whether the plugins were available using
> Help > About Eclipse SDK > Plugins ... and indeed they are shown.
>
> Now I created a simple HelloWorld plug-in and the moment I try to add the
> Derby nature I get an error message saying that my project is missing the
> required libraries ... org.apache.derby.core derby.jar, derbyclient.jar,
> derbynet.jar, derbytools.jar
>
> When I look into the properties of my project under Java Build Path I can
> see the derby jar-files are available. I can also see that the Plug-in
> dependencies include these jar-files.
>
> The error log says also the project cannot be built until build path
> errors
> are resolved .
>
> I tried afterwards the same thing but now I did not use a link file but
> the
> product configuration manager using add extension location, the problem
> remains.
>
> When I add the plugins to the Eclipse plugin directory there is no
> problem.
>
> What is wrong here and what is the best approach to follow ?
>

> regards,
> Danny

Aaron J Tarter

Re: Derby Eclipse Plug-in versus JavaDB or Apache Derby

Posted by danga <dg...@yahoo.com>.
I have tried to get the plug-in build with Eclipse but could not succeed. I
am using the latest version of eclipse . Can someone tell me the steps to
get this done

Posted by Aaron J Tarter <aj...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> ,
> >> derbynet.jar, derbytools.jar
> >>
> >> When I look into the properties of my project under Java Build Path I
> can
> >> see the derby jar-files are available. I can also see that the Plug-in
> >> dependencies include these jar-files.
> >>
> >> The error log says also the project cannot be built until build path
> >> errors
> >> are resolved .
> >>
> >> I tried afterwards the same thing but now I did not use a link file but
> >> the
> >> product configuration manager using add extension location, the problem
> >> remains.
> >>
> >> When I add the plugins to the Eclipse plugin directory there is no
> >> problem.
> >>
> >> What is wrong here and what is the best approach to follow ?

Aaron J Tarter

Re: Derby Eclipse Plug-in versus JavaDB or Apache Derby

Posted by danga <dg...@yahoo.com>.
Aaron,