Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com> on 2014/08/04 06:56:43 UTC

Newer Zookeeper?

Hi,

Kafka currently builds against Zookeeper 3.3.4, which is quite old.

Perhaps we should move to the more recent 3.4.x branch?

I tested the change on my system and the only impact is to
EmbeddedZookeeper used in tests (it uses NIOServerCnxn.factory, which
was refactored into its own class in 3.4).

Here's what the change looks like:
https://gist.github.com/gwenshap/d95b36e0bced53cab5bb

Gwen

Re: Newer Zookeeper?

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com>.
Our current version, 3.3.4 is from 2011. There have been lots of
improvements since.

Things I'm mostly interested in:

1. Since both Hadoop distributions (CDH + HDP) ship with ZK 3.4.5 (and
have been for over two years), there are huge number of installations
running Kafka with 3.4.X ZK. 3.3.X client with 3.4.X server was never
adequately tested. So we are concerned about the stability and
supportability of this combination.

2. Hundreds of bug fixes introduced in 3 years...

3. The Zookeeper GUI is nice too :)

Thanks for the pointers around the separate ZK cluster. Our goal is
for ZK to never go down, but I agree that introducing dependencies
between services is never a good idea.

Gwen

Re: Newer Zookeeper?

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.