Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by phb <ph...@aegle.fr> on 2008/02/08 15:07:50 UTC

interconnecting dbus and activemq

Hi,

We're looking for a new interprocess communication mecanism for the
applications we develop on Linux (today we use a mix of techniques from UNIX
IPC to sockets and pipes)

A good candidate for us is dbus, which is available from the Qt API we're
working with. We're also considering ActiveMQ for the access to application
servers it brings.

Could you help us make up our mind :
- isn't ActiveMQ a bit heavyweight for local IPC communication (99% of our
current needs) ?
- how does interconnectiong dbus and activemq seem to you ?

Thank you for your help
Regards
--
Philippe

Re: interconnecting dbus and activemq

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 08/02/2008, phb <ph...@aegle.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're looking for a new interprocess communication mecanism for the
> applications we develop on Linux (today we use a mix of techniques from UNIX
> IPC to sockets and pipes)
>
> A good candidate for us is dbus, which is available from the Qt API we're
> working with. We're also considering ActiveMQ for the access to application
> servers it brings.
>
> Could you help us make up our mind :
> - isn't ActiveMQ a bit heavyweight for local IPC communication (99% of our
> current needs) ?

No not really, ActiveMQ is pretty lightweight especially when
communicating on the same box. From an architectural perspective the
ActiveMQ broker is like the D-BUS daemon process.

Its worth thinking of all those edge cases with messaging; do you need
persistence, transactions - do you wanna handle slow topic consumers
if using pub/sub, or deal with buffering to disk of you have a queue
that starts backing up etc.

> - how does interconnectiong dbus and activemq seem to you ?

I found the spec BTW : http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html

it wouldn't be that hard to implement a D-BUS connector on ActiveMQ;
though if you really wanna use D-BUS clients and its transport, I
guess you could just use D-BUS :)

I wonder if it'd be easy to implement the ActiveMQ D-BUS transport using this...
http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-java/

if nothing else it should be easy to write a Camel component for D-BUS
so you could configure an ActiveMQ <-> D-BUS bridge for folks wanting
to use a mixture of ActiveMQ and D-BUS.

--
James
-------