Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Justin Fagnani-Bell <ju...@paraliansoftware.com> on 2002/09/29 03:37:57 UTC

What DTD's do you use for a plain site?

What Doctypes are people using for general information to be displayed
at HTML?

I'm doing a very simple site which will be mostly static HTML. The data
is basically intended for presentation only, so there isn't much of a
datatype I need to model, the only reason I'm going for cocoon is to
swap out look and feel easily.

So far my experience with Cocoon has been with data I could come up
with a logical XML dialect for. But for presentation orientated data I
find myself just using html, which I know I shouldn't.

Any suggestions? I'm about to check out DocBook, but is that maybe
overkill?

Thanks,
   Justin

Re: What DTD's do you use for a plain site?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <ah...@cocooncenter.org>.
Justin,

> What Doctypes are people using for general information to be displayed
> at HTML?
>
> I'm doing a very simple site which will be mostly static HTML. The data
> is basically intended for presentation only, so there isn't much of a
> datatype I need to model, the only reason I'm going for cocoon is to
> swap out look and feel easily.
>
> So far my experience with Cocoon has been with data I could come up with
> a logical XML dialect for. But for presentation orientated data I find
> myself just using html, which I know I shouldn't.
>
> Any suggestions? I'm about to check out DocBook, but is that maybe
> overkill?

What about the Forrest documentation format?
You can find the DTD at
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/document-v11.dtdx.html

I'm using this doctype for the cocooncenter articles.
It is suited especially for technical documentation.

Andreas

RE: What DTD's do you use for a plain site?

Posted by Conal Tuohy <co...@paradise.net.nz>.
I've used simplified docbook - it's easy - much simpler than the full
docbook which is huge. But is XHTML really so bad?

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hello Justin,