Posted to scm-dev@maven.apache.org by Julien Henry <ju...@capgemini.com> on 2006/09/26 14:01:17 UTC

checkout, edit and synergy

Hi,

I have another problem with Synergy scm plugin. Here is what is already
done:

"working dir" $> mvn scm:checkout -DconnectionUrl=scm:synergy:myProjet~1.0
run the following ccm commands :
ccm start ...
ccm wa -set "working dir" -pst %project_name myProjet~1.0
ccm sync -r -p myProjet~1.0
ccm stop

I think it is what we can expect from maven checkout command, that is to
say get a specified version of a project in a specified directory.
The problem is that Synergy is a "locking" scm. You can't edit/add file
if you don't checkout project before (take care, it is the Synergy
meaning of checkout !). But the Synergy checkout command not only allow
you to edit files, but increments project version in database. It is the
opposite of SVN where revision is incremented after checkin.

When you are in a locked directory, and you want to edit a file, I don't
know what ccm command to run. If someone using CM/Synergy could help me,
it would be great !

I'm considering calling ccm checkout in the "maven" checkout, but:
1) I had to update the POM because the version of the checkout project
is incremented
2) If continuum perform a checkout each night, this will create a great
number of version in the database, and lock the project (AFAIK)

Thanks for any idea.

Julien HENRY | **Capgemini Sud **| Nice

www.fr.capgemini.com <http://www.capgemini.com/>

Porte de l’Arénas – Entrée B | 455 Promenade des Anglais | 06200 Nice

**Join the Collaborative Business Experience**** **

Re: checkout, edit and synergy

Posted by Julien Henry <ju...@capgemini.com>.
Hi,

I get help from a Synergy user, and he said using Synergy checkout
command is not a problem. Indeed, even if a new version is created for
each checkout, it's a "working" (Synergy state) version that is not
visible for other developpers (and could be deleted later).

Now I have a new problem. When you ask Synergy to checkout project
foo~1.0 in "target/checkout" folder, your pom is in
"taget/checkout/foo~1.0/foo/pom.xml". I know scm:bootstrap and Continuum
expect the pom to be in the root of checkout directory, and I'm not sure
how to solve this.

I ask some Synergy guru about getting only the content of project
directory (I'm waiting for an answer), but if it is not possible,
perhaps can we add a new parameter in CheckOutScmResult that store where
is the root pom.xml. This will require to patch tools using checkout
command. For scm plugin, it will not be difficult (only change working
dir), but I don't know what is the amount of work for Continuum.

Any suggestion ?

++

Julien