Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Strader, William Alexander (WAX)" <st...@y12.doe.gov> on 2003/11/06 18:24:10 UTC

[users@httpd] Redirect for the "..\.." Security Issue

Does anyone know how to redirect that "..\.." security issue to a 404
page... We are undergoing a security Audit and they keep freaking out cause
if they goto http://webserver/somedir/..\..\..\..\..\etc\passwd they see a
directory listing.  The directory listing they see is the same as if they
goto http://webserver/somedir/  which is supposed to be there.... So it
isn't a security issue but everytime they get a 200 vs a 404 when they do a
"..\.." they freak out... Anyone know of a way to send them to 404 or
something?

Thanks,

Billy S.
WebPool
Office: (865) 425-5178
Pager: (865) 417-5012

Re: [users@httpd] Redirect for the "..\.." Security Issue

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Strader, William Alexander (WAX) wrote:

> Does anyone know how to redirect that "..\.." security issue to a 404
> page... We are undergoing a security Audit and they keep freaking out cause
> if they goto http://webserver/somedir/..\..\..\..\..\etc\passwd they see a
> directory listing.  The directory listing they see is the same as if they
> goto http://webserver/somedir/  which is supposed to be there.... So it
> isn't a security issue but everytime they get a 200 vs a 404 when they do a
> "..\.." they freak out... Anyone know of a way to send them to 404 or
> something?

<LocationMatch \.\.>
Order allow,deny
Deny from all