Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ajai Khattri <aj...@palmer.net> on 2001/04/12 02:08:40 UTC

Static content

Just starting out with Cocoon but had a (probably dumb) question:

Is it possible to use Coccon to take a tree of XML documents and then do
an XML transformation on all the documents to produce a similar tree of
HTML (or whatever) documents?

In other words, I would like to use it mainly as a processor to publish
a static HTML or WAP site.

--
Aj.

Re: Static content

Posted by Ajai Khattri <aj...@palmer.net>.
Matthew Cordes wrote:

> Sure this is possible, but if you just have xml's and xsl files
> w/o xsp code/java etc, why not just write a java app or shell script
> that uses a perl XSLT parser or even xalan.

Yes, my initial thought was to have a Java app do this. I am also planning to use a
database with a web-based front-end for content and I would prob. want to use
servlets for this too. Im using a Java program to run queries and build a tree of
XML documents. Then a cron job would fire off another script to do the actual
publishing of content in various formats. Since Im planning to use several formats
I would have to loop and publish several trees of documents.

I just wondered if there was a way to get Cocoon to do the static publishing
(multi-format) part of it without me having to write code - just call me lazy ;-)

--
Aj.

Re: Static content

Posted by Matthew Cordes <mc...@maine.edu>.
Hi Aj,

Sure this is possible, but if you just have xml's and xsl files
w/o xsp code/java etc, why not just write a java app or shell script
that uses a perl XSLT parser or even xalan.

For pages that require cocoon, I usually make a purely dynamic version
and have a cron that does something like

	lynx -source localhost/cocoon/dynamic_page.xml?param=blah > static.html

wget would also work. You could do this at some interval and have users
view the static pages. Hope this helps.  Feel free to email me directly
if you have more answers as I feel this is slightly OT.

-matt

Requesting stylesheets

Posted by Tim Cavanagh <ti...@tafe.sa.edu.au>.
Hi all,

Is it "better" to request (via a href) different stylesheets being applied
to an xml page using XSLT or XSP? By better I mean is it faster to use
XSP.... I have been using the XSLT method and find it quite speedy but am
unsure about the process eg using the stylesheet to say if this param then
apply this stylesheet etc etc.

I am a newbie and hope that makes sense.

Regards

Tim Cavanagh

Re: Static content

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Ajai Khattri wrote:

> Just starting out with Cocoon but had a (probably dumb) question:
>
> Is it possible to use Coccon to take a tree of XML documents and then do
> an XML transformation on all the documents to produce a similar tree of
> HTML (or whatever) documents?
>
> In other words, I would like to use it mainly as a processor to publish
> a static HTML or WAP site.

you might really want to try the c2 command line app.

- donald