Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2011/07/18 13:02:20 UTC

[Nutch Wiki] Trivial Update of "FAQ" by LewisJohnMcgibbney

Dear Wiki user,

The "FAQ" page has been changed by LewisJohnMcgibbney:
http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/FAQ?action=diff&rev1=125&rev2=126

  See  [[HttpAuthenticationSchemes]].

  === Updating ===
- ====Isn't there redudant/wasteful duplication between nutch crawldb and solr index?====
+ ==== Isn't there redudant/wasteful duplication between nutch crawldb and solr index? ====
  Nutch maintains a crawldb (and linkdb, for that matter) of the urls it crawled, the fetch status, and the date. This data is maintained beyond fetch so that pages may be re-crawled, after the a re-crawling period. At the same time Solr maintains an inverted index of all the fetched pages. It'd seem more efficient if Nutch relied on the index instead of maintaining its own crawldb, to !store the same url twice? The problem we face here is what Nutch would do if we wished to change the Solr core which to index to?

  Whats described above could be done with Nutch 2.0 by adding a SOLR backend to GORA. SOLR would be used to store the webtable and provided that you setup the schema accordingly you could index the appropriate fields for searching. Further to this, because Nutch is a crawler intending to write to more than one search engine. Besides, the crawldb is gone, as a flat file, in trunk (2.0). Also, Solr is really slow when it comes to updating millions of records, the crawldb isn't when split over multiple machines.