Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Ian Atkin <ia...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2002/05/17 14:24:50 UTC

new volunteer

i'd like to volunteer a sizeable chunk of my time to apache

i've 3 years java, xml, etc most of which was spent benefitting from
apache code without the time to contribute (or was it willingness?)

i'd like to improve my technical writing (partly as an employment move)
so I thought apache could do with my labour - which, what, when, where?

I'm committed to DocBook and XSLT so how could this fit with Anakia?

would an apache  DocBook customisation (doctype or scripts) be of use?
has one been done?

Ian

Re: new volunteer

Posted by Ian Atkin <ia...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
thanks peeps,

i'll pick my project, start docing and come back when i've done something

ian

Re: new volunteer

Posted by James Taylor <jt...@4lane.com>.
> starting points:
> maven: http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven

I think maven would definitely be interested in your help. We've had a
lot of discussions about moving to docbook, and lots of us favor it but
we've invested a lot of time in xdoc so far and don't really have the
time to convert all the transformations and xdocs right now.

The barrier will be the we are mostly using DVSL instead of XSLT. The
only place XSLT is being used is for generating XSL:FO (where DVSL just
doesn't cut it yet).

So if that is something you are interested in, come on over!

-- jt

Re: new volunteer

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
> i'd like to volunteer a sizeable chunk of my time to apache
>
> i've 3 years java, xml, etc most of which was spent benefitting from
> apache code without the time to contribute (or was it willingness?)
>
> i'd like to improve my technical writing (partly as an employment move)
> so I thought apache could do with my labour - which, what, when, where?
>
> I'm committed to DocBook and XSLT so how could this fit with Anakia?
>
> would an apache  DocBook customisation (doctype or scripts) be of use?
> has one been done?

http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/developing is in docbook format
(see cvs module jakarta-avalon); it uses Cocoon and XSLT instead of
Anakia. There's probably other places I'm not aware of.
Atitudes toward DocBook vary wildly per project. As a whole, jakarta
isn't committed to DocBook, or XSLT.

XSLT doesn't fit within Anakia very well (the primary author, Jon, is
not too fond of XSLT - search the archives for reasoning).

I would suggest not investing a lot of time into Anakia though - we are
seeing movement to newer tools to handle our documentation
generation...try and search the archive of this list for information on
maven, centipede, forrest, gump and the lot.

starting points:
maven: http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven
centipede: http://www.krysalis.org/centipede

As for documentation content, well, many subprojects could use help.
Check with the ones you are interested in / have knowledge about, on
their respective mailing lists. The content on the jakarta site itself
is pretty good, imo. If you want to supply patches for that, check out

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/jakarta-site2.html

for information.

cheers,

- Leo