Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 1999/05/26 05:33:30 UTC

Re: Expat in tree

Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > Ken had a good point about whether it was under MPL 1.0 or MPL 1.1. MPL
> > allows us to upgrade to 1.1 if we so choose. Currently, it is under 1.0.
> > MPL 1.1 has not yet been published (only NPL 1.1). If we *must* back it
> > out until MPL 1.1 is posted, then we can. I prefer not to, and I would
> > definitely like to see it back in when MPL 1.1 is posted.
>
> We need to back it out. Ideally, it would be best if  Expat could be
> released under either the Apache license or your mod_dav license.
> Releasing under MPL (or is it NPL?) 1.1 would probably work as because
> it limits the scope of the patent license to the actual code covered by
> the MPL.

I've sent mail to Jim Clark. I don't know what his position is, but it
would certainly be cool if he said, "what the heck. sure... use the
Apache license."  Never know unless you ask :-)

> > Also: note this addresses Ralf's question about the optional nature of
> > the Expat source. Configure must always be able to handle its absence
> > because certain distributors may need to remove it.
> This is just a bad thing to do. All for one and one for all. Requiring
> people to tease out 'incompatable' code is senseless. What will happen
> when XML calls get embedded into the main server and these calls are
> required to make the server function? If the function is available, it
> WILL be used in ways that will render the server brain dead if you try
> to back them out.

True, and I have some ideas for resolving this. But I'll tackle that
later... This whole deal with Expat is really bumming me out.

> Sorry for not intuiting your intent earlier.

I should make you back out the code. :-)

> -1 on this patch.

I'll remove src/lib/expat/ but leave the rest in. This will happen later
tonite.

Cheers,
-g

--