Posted to dev@skywalking.apache.org by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/05 12:03:38 UTC

[Recommendation] Bump up dependencies versions manually

Hi Team

According to the notifications from ASF INFRA, they activated the
dependencies check bot for all repositories. This afternoon(UTC+8), we
received PRs(#8806 <https://github.com/apache/skywalking/pull/8806> #8807
<https://github.com/apache/skywalking/pull/8807> #8808
<https://github.com/apache/skywalking/pull/8808> #8809
<https://github.com/apache/skywalking/pull/8809> #8810
<https://github.com/apache/skywalking/pull/8810>) from this robot. I have
closed all of them, but manually use mine[1] to take the action.

First, it is good we could have a robot to check this in case we missed any
CVE relative fixes in our dependencies. But also, we should be careful, and
more serious when we try to bump up versions.
1. We should take care of the License(binary one) matching with version
changes.
2. Make sure we have enough tests(e2e or manual tests) to make sure these
new versions are good.

So, I recommend all committers would manually bump up versions, and only
take the robot's PR as a notification, rather than a code contribution.

[1] https://github.com/apache/skywalking/pull/8811

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Re: [Recommendation] Bump up dependencies versions manually

Posted by Jiajie Zhong <zh...@gmail.com>.
Good suggestion and thanks Calvin,

--
Best Wish
— Jiajie

Re:[Recommendation] Bump up dependencies versions manually