Posted to dev@slider.apache.org by Gour Saha <gs...@hortonworks.com> on 2016/11/02 01:44:50 UTC

First draft of Apache Slider November 2016 report

Please review and provide feedback on the draft below.

Slider

Slider is a collection of tools and technologies to package, deploy, and
manage long running applications on Apache Hadoop YARN clusters.

Slider has been incubating since 2014-04-29.

 1. Apache Slider community/PPMC has voted to move portions of Slider into
    Apache Hadoop YARN as modules. It is possible that the remaining pieces
    will be moved at a later point in time or become obsolete or evolve to
    work closely with YARN. Slider PPMC will decide what makes the most
    sense as we progress through this exciting time.
 2. Getting more external users
 3. Growth of a diverse set of developers/committers/PMC members is also
    crucial towards the final state of Slider

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

 No.

The Apache Hadoop YARN community/PMC and Apache Slider community/PPMC
had decided to move portions of Slider into YARN, to make fast and significant
progress on: YARN-4692 - [Umbrella] Simplified and first-class support for
services in YARN. As a result, portions like Slider Core, Application Master,
Client and Tests had been rolled into Apache Hadoop YARN as module(s).
This effort is being captured in: YARN-5079 : Native YARN framework layer
for services. All the migrations are happening in a branch (namely
yarn-native-services) created of off Hadoop trunk. As a result of this,
we are already seeing interest in the Hadoop committers/PMC, who have
started to contribute and submit patches to Slider.

In order to support existing users of Slider, and to provide seamless
migration, there will be sufficient overlap between the time when a stable
state of long running services support is available in some future version
of YARN and the time till an independent Slider release is available. The
community/PPMC will also determine the future state of Slider as we
navigate through these changes.

The discussions on the Slider and YARN community DLs can be viewed here -

https://s.apache.org/0hoh
https://s.apache.org/MncV

For the benefit of those who would like to use Slider Core from the
Hadoop codebase, but continue to use classic Slider Agent and legacy
app-packages, a new branch (yarn-native-services) has been created
in classic Slider repo. This branch retains only the Agent (python) code
and the App Packages. It adds Slider Core module as a Hadoop
dependency. This allows users to consume the latest of Slider Core.
Future classic Slider releases can be made purely off of this branch.

Additionally an effort is being made to create an agent-less provider for
legacy app-packages, which could help users to completely migrate to
Hadoop codebase for creating long-running services with Slider. Expectation
from app-package owners would be to make minor modification of their
packages. Primary changes would be to shed the dependency on python
Agent code, effectively making packages much simpler than what they
look like today in classic Slider.

There has been fewer bug fixes on the classic Slider side as most of
the focus has been on developing features on native YARN services in
the Hadoop codebase. Work continues on support for complex services
(assemblies) and agent-less applications in Slider. The efforts on Slider
Core will continue in the new services branch created in YARN. Few
key features which were merged to classic Slider as well were -
SLIDER-875 - Ability to create an Uber application package with
capability to deploy and manage as a single business app, and
SLIDER-1107 - Generate app configuration files in AM. Several issues
identified by Coverity scans were resolved as well. Additionally few
patches were contributed by the community fixing functional and
performance issues. Slider community plans to ship a release in the
next quarter with all these features and bug fixes.

Date of last release:

 2016-06-28 slider-0.91.0-incubating

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

 2015-07-07: Yu (Thomas) Liu

Re: First draft of Apache Slider November 2016 report

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
LGTM, Gour. Thanks for writing this up.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
I don't have much to add here. I've been painfully absent from Slider,
and this will likely continue from me.

If you have the time/bandwidth, please feel empowered to try to help
push such a release, Manoj :)

Posted by Gour Saha <gs...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Manoj Samel <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gour,