Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com> on 2003/04/10 06:15:09 UTC

Compiling with an IDE

Hi all,

Please do not flame :-)

If you take Jakarta/XML project and try to compile them with an IDE
(let's take Eclipse, since it's free) you will have sometimes path problems.

I do NOT say that everyone has to dump Emacs for Eclipse (or another
IDE).  I just suggest to also "consider" alternatives to Emacs.

We often blame websites that are only written for MSIE...

-Vladimir

--
Vladimir R. Bossicard
www.bossicard.com

Re: Compiling with an IDE

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.
Probably the best approach is to take it up with the individual
projects.  There are plenty of projects that use IDE's in Apache but each
project is managed mostly independently by the committers.  They're the
ones to contact.

--  Glen

At 03:10 PM 10/04/2003, you wrote:
>>I will not flame cuz ur message simply does not make any sense
>
>I rephrase it.
>
>Some developers (myself included) like to use an IDE to take advantage of
>some nice editing features (refactoring, unused variable, code metrics,
>automatic TODO/FIXME list, import cleaning, ...)
>
>I just said that these users may encounter problems while working on some
>(not all) Jakarta projects.  Well you can always tell them to learn Emacs
>but IMO it will not solve anything.  I know: it's their problem but it's
>also in your interest that other developers can easily contribute.
>
>And since these IDEs offer convenient tools to check the code maybe
>someone will be curious to see what Eclipse can find about his project.
>
>But maybe I'm completely OT (as you said).  I didn't want to start a long
>discussion, just post a friendly notice.
>
>-Vladimir
>
>--
>Vladimir R. Bossicard
>www.bossicard.com

Glen Stampoultzis
gstamp@iinet.net.au

Re: lightweight servlet engine

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Guillermo Payet wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I need a lightweight and fast servlet engine, with no need for JSP or
>>any other such goodies.  I've been using JServ for this until now, but
>>I think it's time to retire venerable JServ and move to something a
>>little more modern.  Full blown Tomcat is too much.
>>
>>I found this document that described exactly what I'm looking for:
>>
>>  http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2002/view/e_spkr/422
>>
>>Anyone know where to get this "pruned down" Tomcat distribution?
>>(the above doc refers to it as "Jerry")
>

> Tomcat5 will have an "embeded" version which is much smaller ( about 2-3
> megs if you have all components ) and you can select what you want enabled.
>
> For 4.1 - I think Hans Bergstein has a customized version that is also much
> smaller.  Also Jerry - Pier's trimmed down tomcat4

I looked for Jerry on the net, but found only a reference in the
article you've read. Pier is on this list, so I'm sure he pipes in
if it's publically available.

Jetty (<http://jetty.mortbay.org/jetty/index.html>) is another small
web server/container that seems to be popular.

The distribution I (Hans Bergsten, not Bergstein; close but no cigar
Costin ;-) make available is called LiteWebServer:

   <http://www.gefionsoftware.com/LiteWebServer/>

It's a modularized and tweaked version of Tomcat 4.1.x (currently
4.1.24) with a base model giving you web server and bare bones Servlet
2.3 support (roughly 1 MB), and add-on modules for JSP 1.2, JSTL 1.0,
and exmaples. Other modules will be added in the future (e.g.
authentication, JNDI, etc.). It provides a more flexible API for
embedding than Tomcat, and (IMHO) simpler configuration, plus a
web application for "point and click" upgrades.

It's distributed under a BSD-style license, with commercial support
available for those that want it.

> Tomcat3.3 is also pretty small and modular ( and can be reduced to ~1M ).
> It worked fine on a zaurus ( but with kaffe JVM, I had few problems with
> j2me - that was long ago ).

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten                                <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>
Gefion Software                       <http://www.gefionsoftware.com/>

Re: lightweight servlet engine

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 11:23, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> "Costin Manolache" <cm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Also Jerry - Pier's trimmed down tomcat4
>
> Nope. I'm using Jetty <http://www.mortbay.org/> everywhere now.
>
> It's much faster, reliable and smaller (500 Kb). There's no point in writing
> yet another Servlet container.

Yup, I also stopped using everything else. Especially for embedding in
an existing container Jetty is hands down the winner of anything I've
looked at. Though I have never looked at Jo! which is another small
servlet container that will run as an Avalon component.

>     Pier

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: lightweight servlet engine

Posted by Guillermo Payet <gp...@localharvest.org>.
I'll use Jetty then.

Thanks

	--G

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 04:23:19PM +0100, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> "Costin Manolache" <cm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Also Jerry - Pier's trimmed down tomcat4
>
> Nope. I'm using Jetty <http://www.mortbay.org/> everywhere now.
>
> It's much faster, reliable and smaller (500 Kb). There's no point in writing
> yet another Servlet container.
>
>     Pier

Guillermo Payet
L O C A L  H A R V E S T
email: gpayet@localharvest.org
http://www.localharvest.org
http://www.oceangroup.com

Re: lightweight servlet engine

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@yahoo.com>.
> > I need a lightweight and fast servlet engine, with no need for JSP or
> > any other such goodies.  I've been using JServ for this until now, [..]

http://www.gefionsoftware.com/LiteWebServer/

- Paul

Re: lightweight servlet engine

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Guillermo Payet wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need a lightweight and fast servlet engine, with no need for JSP or
> any other such goodies.  I've been using JServ for this until now, but
> I think it's time to retire venerable JServ and move to something a
> little more modern.  Full blown Tomcat is too much.
>
> I found this document that described exactly what I'm looking for:
>
>   http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2002/view/e_spkr/422
>
> Anyone know where to get this "pruned down" Tomcat distribution?
> (the above doc refers to it as "Jerry")

Tomcat5 will have an "embeded" version which is much smaller ( about 2-3
megs if you have all components ) and you can select what you want enabled.

For 4.1 - I think Hans Bergstein has a customized version that is also much
smaller.  Also Jerry - Pier's trimmed down tomcat4

Tomcat3.3 is also pretty small and modular ( and can be reduced to ~1M ).
It worked fine on a zaurus ( but with kaffe JVM, I had few problems with
j2me - that was long ago ).

Costin

Re: lightweight servlet engine

Posted by Jim Wright <Ji...@quick.cz>.
Hi,

Guillermo Payet wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I need a lightweight and fast servlet engine, with no need for JSP or
>any other such goodies.

I don't think there is one here. Try Jetty - a sourceforge project.
Home site is mortbay.org (from memory).

Regards,

Jim Wright

Re: lightweight servlet engine

Posted by Jan-Henrik Haukeland <ha...@tildeslash.com>.
Guillermo Payet <gp...@oceangroup.com> writes:

> I need a lightweight and fast servlet engine, with no need for JSP or
> any other such goodies.  I've been using JServ for this until now, but
> I think it's time to retire venerable JServ and move to something a
> little more modern.  Full blown Tomcat is too much.

It may be inappropriate, but since you mention that you are looking
for something lightweight and fast; I have ported Tomcat (++) to a
plain C Servlet Container, supporting more or less the servlet 2.3
api. Anything more lightweight and fast is hard to find :)

The container is free for open-source projects and you can download it
from this url:

                <URL:http://zervlet.com/download.html>

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland

lightweight servlet engine

Re: Compiling with an IDE

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
Danny Angus wrote:

>>Ahh I see.  Perhaps the src filters in eclipse 2.1 can help with this.
>>But I agree, src tree should not be nested
>>

>Yup, it seems to.
>If you try to define nested src folders in eclipse 2.1 build: 200303071024 (I forget which Milestone this is, M5 or an rc) it automatically applies exclusion filters in the outer source folder, and adds the inner one as expected.
>
>I didn't know it did this 'till you said that though.
>
>d.

Wow it handled it automaticallly,  I never tried I was just guessing,
because I say the filters button.
Eclipse Rocks.

--
Nick Chalko                                         Show me the code.
                          Centipede

RE: Compiling with an IDE

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Re: Compiling with an IDE

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.

Re: Compiling with an IDE

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.

Re: Compiling with an IDE

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.

RE: Compiling with an IDE

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Re: Compiling with an IDE

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.

Re: Compiling with an IDE

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.
For maven enabled projects, you simply run

*maven eclipse*

and the eclipse classpath and project files will be generated.  While
this is not perfect, it is about 95% of the job done in about 20
seconds.  There are similar plugins available for IDEA, JDeveloper, JDEE
and others.

Re: Compiling with an IDE

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Vladimir R. Bossicard wrote:

> > I will not flame cuz ur message simply does not make any sense
>
> I rephrase it.
>
> Some developers (myself included) like to use an IDE to take advantage
> of some nice editing features (refactoring, unused variable, code
> metrics, automatic TODO/FIXME list, import cleaning, ...)
>
> I just said that these users may encounter problems while working on
> some (not all) Jakarta projects.  Well you can always tell them to learn
> Emacs but IMO it will not solve anything.  I know: it's their problem
> but it's also in your interest that other developers can easily contribute.
>
> And since these IDEs offer convenient tools to check the code maybe
> someone will be curious to see what Eclipse can find about his project.
>
> But maybe I'm completely OT (as you said).  I didn't want to start a
> long discussion, just post a friendly notice.

Could you provide examples of what are not editor-independent practices?

I move back and forth between Eclipse and Vim, [and sometimes IDEA], and
apart from forgetting to do things like turn tabs off, I've not met any
problems. In fact, going by the blogs of Apache Java committers, both XML
and Jakarta, I'd say IDEA and nowadays Eclipse are amazingly popular.

Sometimes you have to commit yourself to get your point across :) If you
feel it's turning nasty, just turn away. [I'll take the hint if you don't
reply ;)]

Hen

Re: Compiling with an IDE

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Vladimir,

this is the reason projects like Maven ( http://maven.apache.org ) include
support for IDEs, so that projects like the various jakarta ones can
easily integrate with Eclipse, IDEA, JBuilder, JDEE etc....
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

"Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com> wrote on 10/04/2003
03:10:43 PM:

Re: Compiling with an IDE

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.

RE: Compiling with an IDE

Posted by Paulo Silveira <pa...@paulo.com.br>.
I will not flame cuz ur message simply does not make any sense

Paulo Silveira
http://www.paulo.com.br/
http://www.guj.com.br/