Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2018/01/26 15:06:10 UTC

[RNG] Towards v1.1

Hello.

I propose to release the next version of "Commons RNG".
The web site with the current (today) development version (to
become 1.1) is on-line:
   http://commons.apache.org/rng

Could someone please take on the following issue (JDK 9):
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-40
and fix it if necessary (each maven "module" should be a
"Java" module)?  [I do not have Java 9 installed.]

Other remarks, suggestions, blockers?

Help is welcome for the release process using the new plugin
developed by Rob (and, along the way, update the documentation
located in the "doc/release" directory).

Thanks,
Gilles

Re: [RNG] Towards v1.1

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 07:41:51 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
> I do not think so. I like to download a zip that has all I need,
> including
> examples I know where presumably built to match the main code.

OK.

Note that the target is not the same:
  main code -> 1.6
  examples -> 1.8 or 1.9

Gilles

Re: [RNG] Towards v1.1

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

> On Feb 20, 2018, at 6:28 PM, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 10:22:11 -0500, Rob Tompkins wrote:
>> Re. Towards 1.1 I’m not sure I’ll be able to get the [release-plugin]
>> working with rng before hand because I’d like to make some pom
>> changes.
>
> RNG's POM?

Yeah. I’m getting assemblies for each sub component. And i wanted to add the dist sub-project as a module in hopes of having “mvn deploy” doing the whole release. But, doing that causes things like checkstyle to get curried into the dist project.

Re: [RNG] Towards v1.1

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 10:22:11 -0500, Rob Tompkins wrote:
> Re. Towards 1.1 I’m not sure I’ll be able to get the [release-plugin]
> working with rng before hand because I’d like to make some pom
> changes.

RNG's POM?

Re: [RNG] Towards v1.1

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.
Re. Towards 1.1 I’m not sure I’ll be able to get the [release-plugin] working with rng before hand because I’d like to make some pom changes. But, I don’t want to get in your way of releasing 1.1. So I’ll do that after you send it up and out.

Re: [RNG] Towards v1.1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [RNG] Towards v1.1

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hi.

Does it make sense to exclude the
  commons-rng-examples
module from the distribution?

Gilles

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 20:45:41 +0100, Gilles wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Feb 2018 17:18:44 +0100, Gilles wrote:
>> Ping?

>> On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 16:06:10 +0100, Gilles wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I propose to release the next version of "Commons RNG".
>>> The web site with the current (today) development version (to
>>> become 1.1) is on-line:
>>>   http://commons.apache.org/rng
>>>
>>> Could someone please take on the following issue (JDK 9):
>>>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-40
>>> and fix it if necessary (each maven "module" should be a
>>> "Java" module)?  [I do not have Java 9 installed.]
>>
>> I've just installed it. See other post (with subject: "Travis
>> build fails").
>>
>> Is there a multi-module "Commons" project whose artefacts
>> are known to work as Java 9 modules?
>>
>> I'd like to release v1.1 but I don't think it's worth
>> pretending that it is Java 9 compatible without doing
>> anything more than adding a MANIFEST entry (that could
>> be wrong).
>> I'd rather remove the "Automatic-Module-Name" and postpone
>> issue RNG-40 to v1.2 (even if it would be the only change
>> wrt v1.1).
>
> With the latest commits ("JPMS integration example" module),
> I'm reasonably confident that the "Automatic-Module-Name"
> works fine (despite the unconventional difference between
> module name and package name for "commons-rng-client-api").
>
> Review welcome.
> A release candidate will proposed in the coming days.
>
> Gilles
>

>> Regards,
>> Gilles
>>
>>> Other remarks, suggestions, blockers?
>>>
>>> Help is welcome for the release process using the new plugin
>>> developed by Rob (and, along the way, update the documentation
>>> located in the "doc/release" directory).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Gilles

Re: [RNG] Towards v1.1

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.