Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <cw...@apache.org> on 2016/11/22 18:10:14 UTC

[VOTE] Release UIMA-AS 2.9.0 RC1

Hi,

the UIMA-AS 2.9.0 release candidate 1 is ready for voting.

This version contains the following fixes:
  - Updated to use Activemq 5.14.0
  - Added dependency on UIMA SDK 2.9.0
  - Fixed http based service connectivity
  - Added support for automatic recovery of temp queues after broker
restart.
  - Fixed per CAS Performance Metrics breakdown
  - Fixed per process CPU & RSS reporting
  - Fixed example runtime configurations
  - Fixed error recovery on exception while deserializing a CAS
  - "Pinned" JMX MBeans to a specific deployment to enable orderly cleanup
  - Fixed support of AMQ white listing of packages
  - Added support to disable JMX via a new argument
-Duima.as.enable.jmx=false
  - Fixed dd2spring issues
  - Other Bug fixes

The list of changes in Jira:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%202.9.0AS%20AND%20project%20%3D%20UIMA

The source and binary zip/tars are staged to
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/uima/uima-as/2.9.0/RC1/

The Maven artifacts are here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-1110

The SVN tags are here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/uima-as/tags/uima-as-2.9.0/

and for the Eclipse Update Site:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/uima/eclipse-update-site/uima-as/

See http://uima.apache.org/testing-builds.html for suggestions on how to
test
release candidates.

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ] 0   Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Thanks

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA-AS 2.9.0 RC1

Posted by Lou DeGenaro <lo...@gmail.com>.
- OK: on Red Hat Linux downloaded & unzipped uima-as-2.9.0-bin.zip
<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/uima/uima-as/2.9.0/RC1/uima-as-2.9.0-bin.zip>
- OK: followed README instructions to
          > setup environment variables
          > adjust examples paths
          > start broker
          > deploy & utilize async service (MeetingDetector)
          > ........Completed 8 documents; 17165 characters
          > Time Elapsed : 2553 ms
- OK: README & Release Notes
- OK: License & Notice
- OK: cursory inspection of Jira Report
- OK: cursory inspection of uima_async_scaleout.html

+1 Approve the release

Lou.

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <cw...@apache.org>.
- Signatures (md5, sha1) - OK

Posted by Burn Lewis <bu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
NOTICE file for UIMA-AS line 2 says Copyright 2008, 2009.
The 2nd year in the Copyright should be 2016, or it may be omitted.

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA-AS 2.9.0 RC1

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
README file issues:

The line "For up-to-date information  on UIMA-AS issues, see our issue tracker:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12327044&styleName=Html&projectId=12310570

actually seems to be pointing to the version 2.8.1 release info...

typo - "service" spelled "servic" on line 426 in README

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA-AS 2.9.0 RC1

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
2.9.0 rc1

signatures OK

compare source-release with svn - OK

build from source (after clearing .m2 of uima-as folders)
  won't build with Java 8 and -Papache-release because of javadoc errors
  OK with Java 7

installed from Eclipse update site location OK, made an ae descriptor and a
deployment descriptor that ref'd it.
OK

issues fixed: 1 missed issue not updated in Jira, missing in issues-fixed report
UIMA-5189.  This has been corrected in Jira.  The fix is in the release; just
the issues-fixed report
is missing this.

README - 2 minor issues, including a wrong url pointer to 2.8.1 release

RELEASE_NOTES - ok

The file LicNoticeAnalysisActiveMQ.txt was not updated with the current set of
activity around getting the licenses and notices in order.  Last update was for
ActiveMQ rel 5.12.1, now using 5.14.0

License and notice files in the binary and source OK

Spot check: Maven artifacts - OK

To summarize, the minor issues with this RC, from the this thread, are:
  1) small bug in error message when version mismatch between uima-as and core uima
  2) issue UIMA-5189 missing from issues fixed; would be noted in the release
announcement
  3) README has pointer to 2.8.1 info for uima jiras, instead of 2.9.0
  4) NOTICE file has wrong copyright end date.

These seem minor enough to me to not block this release, but it would be good to
fix them going forward.  What do others think?

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA-AS 2.9.0 RC1

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.
If you are referring to this line:
 Deploy_MeetingAnnotator.xml: Deploys C++ Meeting Annotator.

It also says: "Note: requires installation of uimacpp SDK into $UIMA_HOME."
-jerry

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.
Indeed, this shows as Open although the fix is in RC1. Forgot to close this
JIRA. My mistake. Will close it now against 2.9.0 and if this RC gets
approved I will mention this omission in the Release Announcement.
-jerry

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.
I see, the bug is in the .classpath. For some reason I thought that Eddie
complained about finding this in a launch script (UIMA AS Deploy
Service.launch). I will cancel RC1 soon.

-jerry

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
and in "UIMA Deploy AS Service.launch" are three lines:

<listEntry value="&lt;?xml version=&quot;1.0&quot;
encoding=&quot;UTF-8&quot;?&gt;&lt;runtimeClasspathEntry path=&quot;3&quot;
projectName=&quot;uimaj-as-activemq&quot; type=&quot;1&quot;/&gt;"/>
<listEntry value="&lt;?xml version=&quot;1.0&quot;
encoding=&quot;UTF-8&quot;?&gt;&lt;runtimeClasspathEntry path=&quot;3&quot;
projectName=&quot;uimaj-as-core&quot; type=&quot;1&quot;/&gt;"/>
<listEntry value="&lt;?xml version=&quot;1.0&quot;
encoding=&quot;UTF-8&quot;?&gt;&lt;runtimeClasspathEntry path=&quot;3&quot;
projectName=&quot;uimaj-as-jms&quot; type=&quot;1&quot;/&gt;"/>

Eddie

Posted by Burn Lewis <bu...@gmail.com>.
In examples/.classpath I see:

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.