Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Voinea, Marina" <Ma...@genesys.com> on 2003/12/05 15:54:54 UTC

using Dyna Beans outside Struts, to process "generic" DTO-s in AP P layer

Hi everybody, here is a question for the more experienced, and thank you for
the fact that you are there to advice the rest of us :

   In our APP layer we have to support calls from different client types
(HTTP requests, XML Rpc etc) and we decided to have our  internal data
object  (DTO) (used to carry data back and forth between components) with a
very generic structure :

   it will have inside lists of properties (property name/property type,
property value) or lists of lists where the objects types can be anytype,
including a custom defined class , for ex: "USer" object or "Address"
object.
   This gives a lot of flexibility but of course we lieve the "world of safe
typing" etc...
  We are looking at the DynaBean package (org.apache.commons.beanutils) to
help us manipulate  our generic DTO.(as opposed to in house developing a
library for that)
 I know there are some "non believers" as presented here : (dyna beans do
not support MAP -??) :
    http://sixlegs.com/blog/java/death-to-dynabeans.html

http://www.gideonfamily.org/roller/comments/cmdln?anchor=are_dynabeans_not_j
avabeans

 Can anybody share their thoughs / experience about this package and relying
the framework of our APP layer DTO processing on this pacakage?
  Any advice from people who used it a lot? Does it make sens to use it
outside Struts? (they were intended for Dyna action forms mostly)...

 (Or is there the same discussion in the archives?)

  Thank you!