Posted to ivy-dev@incubator.apache.org by easyproglife <ea...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/29 09:17:57 UTC

IvyDE patch

Hi.

I have a little patch for IvyDE. It is attached.

It fixes a bug that IvyDE always try validating the ivy.conf thus failing on
extra attributes.
With this fix, IvyDE takes the value of validate attribute of conf element
in ivyconf.xml.

For the future I have some questions:
1. Is this the correct way to send patches?
2. How can one become a committer?
3. There is no Jira for IvyDE yet so I can't document this patch. Is it
complicated to open 'ivyde' category in Jira?

easyproglife.

Re: IvyDE patch

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 1/29/07, Stephane Bailliez <sb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> easyproglife wrote:
> >
> > 1. Is this the correct way to send patches?
> mailing list is not cool, things tend to stack up and get forgotten.
> jira is better.
>
> > 2. How can one become a committer?
> http://jakarta.apache.org/site/roles.html

Interesting link. One funny thing:
"Once a Contributor is nominated, all of the Committers for a subproject
will vote. If there are at least 3 positive votes and no negative votes, the
Contributor is converted into a Committer and given write access to the
source code repository for that subproject."
If only committers vote, it will be difficult to get 3 positive vote with
currently only 2 committers :-)

Overall the general rule of thumb is that you hang enough around the
> project so that you're always there (at least for some time) and not
> just passing by
>
> The next one being generally is that you are seen as someone that knows
> his own limits (ie: you don't suddenly decide to break all the code and
> implement what you've been dreaming over night, or hack things around to
> solve your own problem or add the feature you may need for your project
> without thinking about others)
>
> It is perfectly fine to have as a committer someone that only update
> docs..and that sometimes may touch a bit of simple code or fix javadocs,
> this is an extremely valuable contribution for a project.

+1. This is *extremely* valuable!

All this is up to the existing committers to decide whether someone can
> become one. We generally don't want to remove the privileges of someone
> (though this has been done in the past, this is not a pleasant
> experience to go through for all parties), so the 'knowing your limits
> and up to work with others' is more important than being a 'code star'.
>
> Generally an existing committer brings up a name, it is discussed off
> list to make sure that there is consensus (to avoid someone being -1ed
> in public) and the person is contacted to see if he is interested (some
> people refuse because they know they won't be that available right away)
> and a vote happens (which will generally always be +1 due to the
> discussion before).
>
> There's some variations, but roughly that's the idea.

Thanks a lot Stephane, it clears things a lot for me.

- Xavier

Re: IvyDE patch

Posted by Stephane Bailliez <sb...@gmail.com>.

Re: IvyDE patch

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 1/29/07, easyproglife <ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a little patch for IvyDE. It is attached.
I don't see any file attached. Do anybody else see it?

> It fixes a bug that IvyDE always try validating the ivy.conf thus failing on
> extra attributes.
> With this fix, IvyDE takes the value of validate attribute of conf element
> in ivyconf.xml.
Great!

> For the future I have some questions:
> 1. Is this the correct way to send patches?
No, patches should be attached to a JIRA issue.
> 2. How can one become a committer?
I suggest reading http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

As far as I can say, I think you should first show your involvment in
the project, by contributing to the mailing list, to JIRA, to the Wiki
and by contributing patches. Then if you are interested we can cast a
vote (note that I don't really know who is the 'we' :-)). But since
this is related to Apache Policy, maybe a Mentor could better answer
this question.

> 3. There is no Jira for IvyDE yet so I can't document this patch. Is it
> complicated to open 'ivyde' category in Jira?
The process to create an IvyDE project in JIRA is in progress:

As soon as it is created you will be able to use it to create the
issue, attach and document your patch.

Xavier