Posted to dev@yetus.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> on 2016/08/17 19:18:55 UTC

github plugin might be misbehaving?

Before I file a JIRA wanted to see if anyone else agreed.

take a look at YETUS-309:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YETUS-309

Its two different patches failed in precommit. I reran the last in debug
mode:

https://builds.apache.org/view/PreCommit%20Builds/job/PreCommit-YETUS-Build/471/console

The patch is clearly from format-patch, but the yetus output shows:

[Wed Aug 17 19:14:08 UTC 2016 DEBUG]: locate patch
Processing: YETUS-309
[Wed Aug 17 19:14:08 UTC 2016 DEBUG]: github: YETUS-309 is not a pull request #
[Wed Aug 17 19:14:08 UTC 2016 DEBUG]: jira_locate_patch: trying
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YETUS-309
[Wed Aug 17 19:14:08 UTC 2016 DEBUG]: jira_http_fetch:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YETUS-309

YETUS-309 appears to be a Github PR. Switching Modes.
[Wed Aug 17 19:14:10 UTC 2016 DEBUG]: github: test-patch is not a pull request #
[Wed Aug 17 19:14:10 UTC 2016 DEBUG]: generic_locate_patch: failed to
download the patch.
ERROR: Unsure how to process YETUS-309.

The only github related thing I see on the JIRA is a link in a comment
from Dima pointing to one of our source lines. My guess is that we're
claiming github-pr based on just that link.

plausible?

Re: github plugin might be misbehaving?

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.
> On Aug 17, 2016, at 12:18 PM, Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> The patch is clearly from format-patch, but the yetus output shows:

	That doesn't matter because ...

> YETUS-309 appears to be a Github PR. Switching Modes.

	... as soon as Yetus picks up something that it thinks is a github PR, it switches to github mode and there is no mechanism for it to go back.

> [Wed Aug 17 19:14:10 UTC 2016 DEBUG]: github: test-patch is not a pull request #
> [Wed Aug 17 19:14:10 UTC 2016 DEBUG]: generic_locate_patch: failed to
> download the patch.
> ERROR: Unsure how to process YETUS-309.
>

> The only github related thing I see on the JIRA is a link in a comment
> from Dima pointing to one of our source lines. My guess is that we're
> claiming github-pr based on just that link.
>

> plausible?

	Completely.  But it's really two separate bugs:

	* the JIRA plugin's github bridge that tries to detect if it is a JIRA w/a link to github probably needs to get it's regex strengthened a bit.
	* if the github plugin detects it isn't really a github PR it should really have a way to send it back to JIRA if the bridge collapses.

	Relatedly, it's been requested that the bridge should detect which one is "newer" and use that, but that's *really* hard to do efficiently without making a ton of queries all over the place.