Posted to user@spark.apache.org by ReeceRobinson <Re...@TheRobinsons.gen.nz> on 2015/07/28 00:56:28 UTC

Do I really need to build Spark for Hive/Thrift Server support?

I'm a bit confused about the documentation in the area of Hive support.

I want to use a remote Hive metastore/hdfs server and the documentation says
that we need to build Spark from source due to the large number of
dependencies Hive requires.

Specifically the documentation says:

"Hive has a large number of dependencies, it is not included in the default
Spark assembly....This command builds a new assembly jar that includes
Hive."

So I downloaded the source distribution of Spark 1.4.1 and executed the
following build command:

./make-distribution.sh --name spark-1.4.1-hadoop-2.6-hive --tgz -Pyarn
-Phadoop-2.6 -Dhadoop.version=2.6.0 -Phive -Phive-thriftserver  -DskipTests

Inspecting the size of the resulting spark-assembly-1.4.1-hadoop2.6.0.jar it
is only a few bytes different ie. Pre-built jar is 162976273 bytes and my
custom built jar is 162976444. I don't see any new hive jar file either?

Can someone please help me understand what is going on here?

Cheers,
Reece

Re: Do I really need to build Spark for Hive/Thrift Server support?

Posted by roni <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,
 Any explanation for this?
 As Reece said I can do operations with hive but -

val sqlContext = new org.apache.spark.sql.hive.HiveContext(sc) -- gives error.

I have already created spark ec2 cluster with the spark-ec2 script. How can
I build it again?

Thanks
_Roni