Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/16 11:15:48 UTC

Esme Presentation...? [WAS Re: The current state of ESME]

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
>> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> ...i'll be at ApacheConEU. the
>>> FastFeather track is a good way to attract interest within Apache -
>>> the crowds are small but influential. i think we could pull together a
>>> talk which either myself or Bertrand could give....
>
> Got the answer ApacheCon Planners: the FastFeather track as we know it
> is not happening this year in Amsterdam, but the place for last-minute
> talks is the BarCamp (http://barcamp.org/BarCampApache) which is
> colocated with ApacheCon, Tuesday March 23rd.
>
> I won't be there unfortunately, arriving in Amsterdam Tuesday evening
> only due to other commitments.

i'll be there, and also at BarCampApacheOxford a week or so later. if
the community thinks that it's worthwhile and could find time to help
me write something over the next week or so, then i'd be happy to talk
about Esme.

opinions?

if we want to give this a try, i prefer to use S5 which is based on
HTML, CSS and JavaScript. being text, it plays well with version
control systems. this makes it easier to collaborate on presentations.
it's pubilc domain so there'd be no problem checked into the apache
repository as documentation. alternatively, i use a google project for
creative commons presentations so that's another place the content
could be developed.

opinions?

- robert

Re: Esme Presentation...? [WAS Re: The current state of ESME]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Hirsch, Richard
<ri...@siemens.com> wrote:
> How long are the presentations?

AIUI shortish (less than 30 minutes, possibly 20-20 style)

(which is probably a good starting point if the aim is to generate
awareness given where Esme is)

> Do you want more of a technical focus or use-case focus?

i think the focus needs to be on grabbing new developers

IMHO means really talking about what's cool about Esme and where it's
going. my guess is that some of that's tech, some of that's use case,
and possibly some of that's also history but hopefully people will
jump in...

- robert

AW: Esme Presentation...? [WAS Re: The current state of ESME]

Posted by "Hirsch, Richard" <ri...@siemens.com>.
How long are the presentations?

Do you want more of a technical focus or use-case focus?

D.

Compass Integration - Exception

Posted by "Hirsch, Richard" <ri...@siemens.com>.
Working on Compass integration via JDBC and I'm getting a strange error.

Does someone has had experience with compass and mysql.

<connection>
      <jdbc>
          <dataSourceProvider>
              <driverManager
url="jdbc:stax://esmeapache?emulateLocators=true"
                              username="esmeapache" password="xxxx"
                              driverClass="com.staxnet.jdbc.Driver" />
          </dataSourceProvider>
      </jdbc>

    </connection>

Caused by: org.compass.core.engine.SearchEngineException: Failed to
create index for sub index [message]; nested exception is
org.apache.lucene.store.jdbc.JdbcStoreException: Failed to execute sql
[select name_, 'value_' as x, size_ from index_message where name_ = ?];
nested exception is java.sql.SQLException: "pos" + "length" arguments
can not be larger than the BLOB's length.
	at
org.compass.core.lucene.engine.store.DefaultLuceneSearchEngineStore.crea
teIndex(DefaultLuceneSearchEngineStore.java:496)
	at
org.compass.core.lucene.engine.store.DefaultLuceneSearchEngineStore.veri
fyIndex(DefaultLuceneSearchEngineStore.java:532)
	at
org.compass.core.lucene.engine.store.DefaultLuceneSearchEngineStore.veri
fyIndex(DefaultLuceneSearchEngineStore.java:527)
	at
org.compass.core.lucene.engine.store.DefaultLuceneSearchEngineStore.veri
fyIndex(DefaultLuceneSearchEngineStore.java:519)
	at
org.compass.core.lucene.engine.manager.DefaultLuceneSearchEngineIndexMan
ager$4.doInTransaction(DefaultLuceneSearchEngineIndexManager.java:144)
	at
org.compass.core.lucene.engine.manager.DefaultLuceneSearchEngineIndexMan
ager$4.doInTransaction(DefaultLuceneSearchEngineIndexManager.java:142)
	at
org.compass.core.impl.DefaultCompass$CompassTransactionContext.execute(D
efaultCompass.java:349)
	at
org.compass.core.lucene.engine.manager.DefaultLuceneSearchEngineIndexMan
ager.verifyIndex(DefaultLuceneSearchEngineIndexManager.java:141)
	at
org.compass.core.impl.DefaultCompass.<init>(DefaultCompass.java:154)
	at
org.compass.core.impl.DefaultCompass.<init>(DefaultCompass.java:113)
	at
org.compass.core.impl.DefaultCompass.<init>(DefaultCompass.java:106)
	at
org.compass.core.config.CompassConfiguration.buildCompass(CompassConfigu
ration.java:285)
	at bootstrap.liftweb.Compass$.<init>(Boot.scala:152)
	at bootstrap.liftweb.Compass$.<clinit>(Boot.scala)
	... 72 more
Caused by: org.apache.lucene.store.jdbc.JdbcStoreException: Failed to
execute sql [select name_, 'value_' as x, size_ from index_message where
name_ = ?]; nested exception is java.sql.SQLException: "pos" + "length"
arguments can not be larger than the BLOB's length.
	at
org.apache.lucene.store.jdbc.support.JdbcTemplate.executeSelect(JdbcTemp
late.java:122)
	at
org.apache.lucene.store.jdbc.index.FetchOnBufferReadJdbcIndexInput.refil
l(FetchOnBufferReadJdbcIndexInput.java:58)
	at
org.apache.lucene.store.ConfigurableBufferedIndexInput.readByte(Configur
ableBufferedIndexInput.java:27)
	at
org.apache.lucene.store.ChecksumIndexInput.readByte(ChecksumIndexInput.j
ava:36)
	at
org.apache.lucene.store.IndexInput.readInt(IndexInput.java:68)
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.read(SegmentInfos.java:221)
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFileDeleter.<init>(IndexFileDeleter.java:17
5)
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.init(IndexWriter.java:1093)
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:698)
	at
org.compass.core.lucene.engine.store.DefaultLuceneSearchEngineStore.crea
teIndex(DefaultLuceneSearchEngineStore.java:493)
	... 85 more
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: "pos" + "length" arguments can not be
larger than the BLOB's length.
	at
com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:1055)
	at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:956)
	at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:926)
	at com.mysql.jdbc.Blob.getBytes(Blob.java:142)
	at
org.apache.lucene.store.jdbc.index.FetchOnBufferReadJdbcIndexInput.readI
nternal(FetchOnBufferReadJdbcIndexInput.java:132)
	at
org.apache.lucene.store.jdbc.index.FetchOnBufferReadJdbcIndexInput.acces
s$1400(FetchOnBufferReadJdbcIndexInput.java:35)
	at
org.apache.lucene.store.jdbc.index.FetchOnBufferReadJdbcIndexInput$1.exe
cute(FetchOnBufferReadJdbcIndexInput.java:91)
	at
org.apache.lucene.store.jdbc.support.JdbcTemplate.executeSelect(JdbcTemp
late.java:112)

Re: Esme Presentation...? [WAS Re: The current state of ESME]

Posted by David Pollak <fe...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Hirsch, Richard <richard.hirsch@siemens.com
> wrote:

> @David: thanks - the Scala and Lift slides need some help. They aren't sexy
> enough.

I'll work on those.

Posted by "Hirsch, Richard" <ri...@siemens.com>.

Posted by David Pollak <fe...@gmail.com>.

Re: AW: Esme Presentation...? [WAS Re: The current state of ESME]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 6:18 PM, David Pollak
<fe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks.  I'll spend time tomorrow jazzing up the Lift and Scala sections.
>
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 5:50 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin <
> robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Hirsch, Richard
>> <ri...@siemens.com> wrote:
>> > I just checked and David ( feeder.of.the.bears@gmail.com ) still isn't
>> project member (http://code.google.com/p/opentalkware/)
>>

>> apologies - should be now
>>
>> off to catch my flight :-)

was rushing when i created the talk: should have added space for
versioning. going to move it to a trunk subdirectory. apologies for
any disruption.

- robert

Re: AW: Esme Presentation...? [WAS Re: The current state of ESME]

Posted by David Pollak <fe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

AW: AW: Esme Presentation...? [WAS Re: The current state of ESME]

Posted by "Hirsch, Richard" <ri...@siemens.com>.
Added project ideas.

Slides 4 and 1 still need a little bit of polish. Don't know if Scala and Lift slides are sexy enough. Maybe David, Darren or Vassil have some ideas there.

D.

Posted by "Hirsch, Richard" <ri...@siemens.com>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Hirsch, Richard" <ri...@siemens.com>.
FYI. To check-out with SVN, you must use a special generated password - http://code.google.com/hosting/settings

D.

Posted by "Hirsch, Richard" <ri...@siemens.com>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petteroe <yo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Hirsch, Richard" <ri...@siemens.com>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Hirsch, Richard" <ri...@siemens.com>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petteroe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Jumping in on this a bit late, didn't have time to read email at all
at SXSW.
Did we move this presentation somewhere to collaborate?

/Anne

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Hirsch, Richard
<ri...@siemens.com> wrote:
> Regarding REST API, Ethan has already moved his first cut to the apache wiki: http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ESME/RESTAPI

looks a lot better

i assume that the link on the site needs updating

Posted by "Hirsch, Richard" <ri...@siemens.com>.

<ri...@siemens.com> wrote:
> OK. 20 minutes.
>
> Suggestion: 10 slides

i'm going to jump in with questions and guesses - please correct
everything i have wrong

> 1. Goal

in a sentence or two...?

and how does esme fit into the micro-messaging ecosystem?

where does esme fit into the social networking infrastructure?

> 2. History

i seems to me that this is related to the enterprisey thingy: esme is
an application which could be hosted by a corporation or an individual
either publically, privately or as a bridge (a bit like a jabber
server, say), as opposed to a SAAS offering. how wrong is this
impression?

history - i think - is most useful as a way of understanding the
motiviating use cases. what are they?

what about different use cases

what value - if any - would esme bring to support groups of system
administrators?

what about developers? what value does esme bring to development?

> 3. Architecture

AIUI esme is a ensemble of client and server software - one
micro-messaging server (scala/lift) with a variety of clients

what about bridges to other message servers - twitter? SMS? email? jabber?

how does everything fit together?

> 4. Scala
> 5. Lift
> 6. Technology Highlights (Comet, etc.)

comet - server push over a HTTP stream previously opened by the client...?

used to ensure that message are seen promptly ...?

other highlights?

> 7. Clients - Web - AIR, others

lots of clients

these are still at googlecode, right?

is the intention to host the server here at Apache and foster an
ecosystem of clients outside?

> 8. REST API

likely to be controversial

<ducks>not sure i'd describe
http://code.google.com/p/esmeproject/wiki/REST_API_Documantation as
RESTful</ducks>

has this been developed, or is work still continuing?

how does this relate to the clients? are there any other APIs?

> 9. Why should get involved

top five reasons?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
<ri...@siemens.com> wrote:
> OK. 20 minutes.
>
> Suggestion: 10 slides

i'm going to jump in with questions and guesses - please correct
everything i have wrong

> 1. Goal

in a sentence or two...?

and how does esme fit into the micro-messaging ecosystem?

where does esme fit into the social networking infrastructure?

> 2. History

i seems to me that this is related to the enterprisey thingy: esme is
an application which could be hosted by a corporation or an individual
either publically, privately or as a bridge (a bit like a jabber
server, say), as opposed to a SAAS offering. how wrong is this
impression?

history - i think - is most useful as a way of understanding the
motiviating use cases. what are they?

what about different use cases

what value - if any - would esme bring to support groups of system
administrators?

what about developers? what value does esme bring to development?

> 3. Architecture

AIUI esme is a ensemble of client and server software - one
micro-messaging server (scala/lift) with a variety of clients

what about bridges to other message servers - twitter? SMS? email? jabber?

how does everything fit together?

> 4. Scala
> 5. Lift
> 6. Technology Highlights (Comet, etc.)

comet - server push over a HTTP stream previously opened by the client...?

used to ensure that message are seen promptly ...?

other highlights?

> 7. Clients - Web - AIR, others

lots of clients

these are still at googlecode, right?

is the intention to host the server here at Apache and foster an
ecosystem of clients outside?

> 8. REST API

likely to be controversial

<ducks>not sure i'd describe
http://code.google.com/p/esmeproject/wiki/REST_API_Documantation as
RESTful</ducks>

has this been developed, or is work still continuing?

how does this relate to the clients? are there any other APIs?

> 9. Why should get involved

top five reasons?

Posted by "Hirsch, Richard" <ri...@siemens.com>.
OK. 20 minutes.

Suggestion: 10 slides

1. Goal
2. History
3. Architecture
4. Scala
5. Lift
6. Technology Highlights (Comet, etc.)
7. Clients - Web - AIR, others
8. REST API
9. Why should get involved
10. How you get can involved.

How does that sound?

D.

> if we want to give this a try, i prefer to use S5 which is based on
> HTML, CSS and JavaScript. being text, it plays well with version
> control systems. this makes it easier to collaborate on presentations.
> it's pubilc domain so there'd be no problem checked into the apache
> repository as documentation. alternatively, i use a google project for
[...]
> opinions?

S5 is great, I like S5 Reloaded, which has some improvements over S5.

I'm a big fan of reStructuredText
(http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html). It is a very readable
lightweight markup format, which can generate S5 as its output (among
other things). Might work even better for version control.

Re: Esme Presentation...? [WAS Re: The current state of ESME]

Posted by Vassil Dichev <vd...@apache.org>.